1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Please help - query about many jobs advertised today by a school in China

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by ruthwill500, Mar 7, 2018.

1. snitzelvonkrumm

snitzelvonkrumm Occasional commenter

That is quite an optimistic Cowboy. I have only heard second-hand whispers and it does not sound good.

2. Bytor

Bytor Occasional commenter

Grimm fairytales?
    They are sanitised tales, which removed the rape of Sleeping Beauty, the mutilation of feet to fit glass slippers etc etc.

Things could get even worse then!

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
  3. february31st

february31st Established commenter

Unfortunately the stories coming out of this establishment are true! Little wonder the school in question is still advertising for staff.

Schools in the UK that rent their names out wash their hands of any involvement or responsibility for the franchise.

4. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

The UK schools should be ashamed of themselves but we all know they aren't. Disgraceful business.

5. snitzelvonkrumm

It would seem that it is worse than washing their hands or putting their heads in the sand. Yet another team from the UK school are visiting this week. No doubt, they will be told once again of the realities. They will be wined and dined in 5-star hotels. They will not be exposed to what they should be exposed to. Beyond belief!

6. ruthwill500

ruthwill500 New commenter

I thought the most recent response on ISR, related to this school, raised an interesting point about UK schools being bound by the substantial financial returns that they embed into their home school budget. To withdraw from such an arrangement will have huge consequences on planned projects and the taxation/charity status. They are at the mercy of the Chinese businessman with no real interest in education or maintaining the values initially agreed upon. UK Headmaster's reputations are in tatters.

7. rideemcowboy

rideemcowboy Occasional commenter

Advertising for positions already! Is it teachers being moved on, or have they run away very fast? Either way, not healthy.
    Oh wait, it could also mean that, as the advert states, it is a highly successful school who need new teachers to cater for expansion?

ruthwill500 and snitzelvonkrumm like this.
  8. rideemcowboy

Is there any news from those teachers taking legal action against the many letter school? I know things were looking positive but has there been any conclusive news? I assume the stalling tactics remain the only opposition?

9. snitzelvonkrumm

I have not heard any news from those involved in court cases but I hope local corruption is not a concern.
    I did hear that a delegation from the UK visited last week.
    I have seen newsletters and advertisements stating how successful the school is.
    The rumour is that at least one of the current vacancies advertised is due to a new teacher being asked to leave.

ruthwill500 and rideemcowboy like this.
  10. snitzelvonkrumm

I agree Ruthwill. Below is a copy, with a few adjustments to hide the identity of the schools.

UK schools who rent out their name in a franchise - such as ********* have done with *********** in Tianjin China have placed themselves in a very compromised position.

The UK schools receive significant financial rewards for these relationships. On the surface, surely it must appear like a deal that is too good to be true. Large amounts of income and no expense. Legal agreements are made by the respective lawyers, and clear procedures are set in place. Their only commitment, regular First Class trips to China where the UK executives stay in 5-star hotels. What could possibly go wrong?

Once these new finances are established on the UK schools’ budgets, it becomes almost impossible to go back. The threat of withdrawal becomes hollow. It seems they must support the Chinese owners at all cost. Embarrassment after embarrassment. Denial of responsibility. Backtracking on everything that was said during interviews and in all documentation.

The cost, in this case, was that all the principles that ******** claim to stand for have been lost on the silk road to China. All respect from the International teachers was also rapidly lost and every teacher left within the first year. That is, those of us who kept our heads down and survived the year without being subjected to trial by fabrication, intimidation, and victimisation.

To maintain their charity status, UK schools like [This comment/section has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions], need to be offering bursaries to a percentage of students in need. Their tax status is reliant on being a charity, and the income from the franchise makes this possible; they are trapped financially.

The UK schools have never experienced the business practices, sleight of hand and willingness to push all boundaries common to many ruthless Chinese partners. This is well beyond the managements experience or comprehension of nearly every UK schoolmaster, and their advisors and legal counsel. It is not that the UK managers have been outsmarted, but simply they have been bullied and duped.

At *******, an unsuspecting Headmaster with a strong desire to leave his legacy as having created a golden era of growth and prosperity in the school's 500-year history, now finds himself faced by humiliation, cover up and a vain hoping against all hope that somehow he and the UK management team will not be exposed for being totally naive, gullible, ineffective and subordinate to the Chinese. The initial positive hype and propaganda in this UK school’s newsletters and Facebook page seems to have gone quiet, the cracks are widening, lost court cases are threatening, and his correspondence is heavily punctuated by frustration.

I do hope that ******** can take a much firmer line with the owners in the new school year and has every success in its original vision as sold to the foundation teachers. With 100% new staff and a new Head starting this year surely there must be a change in approach from both the owners and ********.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2018
  11. tianjinjustice

tianjinjustice New commenter

@snitzelvonkrumm @ruthwill500 @rideemcowboy ..............you ask news......

Lately, Arbitration Court make Six Letter School pay back wages to foreign teacher. School must pay wages to court. Court gives money to teacher. Clearly, Six Letter School breaks China Labor Law, breach of contract with teacher.

12. snitzelvonkrumm

Thank you for this information.
    Can you provide any details on how difficult it is for non Chinese to win a court case in China? I assume it is not something the authorities would be encouraging or pleased about? Would you encourage teachers to follow this route if they had a case that would normally win in a western court?

13. englishdragon

englishdragon Occasional commenter

Well, well, well...........
    @snitzelvonkrumm
    The current international Principal Sausage (rhymes with so much wurst) has just published an organizational chart for the now infamous Six Letter School announcing himself at the top of the pile, with the Chinese Principal and the Bursar reporting to him...........there is no sign of the the Empress Dowager and Boy Wonder, the Minister of Lies (whose much acclaimed K2, Ararat and Aconcagua ascents have vanished from the school bio page)........
    I wonder if this is all window dressing, or if the caravan of English Advisors achieved some remarkable breakthroughs on the recent visit recorded above..........it is hard to believe that the Empress Dowager has cut her evil threads.............
    Through all of this, no doubt, one can assume the Head of the UK School keeps playing with his organ in the country rhymes with Bent an hour south of London........

14. rideemcowboy

I just checked Boy Wonder's profile on the school website. Yes, it appears that he has rained in his wayward imagination.

15. englishdragon

Oh dear oh deer oh dear oh deer oh dear me.........
    I would have thought an esteemed cowboy like you would know the difference between pulling on the reins, and pulling in the rain........maybe you need to stick to herding quadrupeds instead of teaching bipeds.......
    Perhaps the venerable UK Head of School has pulled the stops out on his organ in the church loft in a county rhymes with Bent an hour south London, to rein in the the reign of Boy Wonder and the Empress Dowager. What a shame, to rain on his wayward imagination like that.

16. rideemcowboy

Seriously E.D. - you are such a dragon

17. february31st

It has become a major issue with some rent-a-name schools in Shanghai to retain and recruit staff year after year especially if their name has been trashed on the ISR or other social media sites.

Some of the rent-a-name school in Shanghai must employ 200 international staff across several various educational establishments. It costs a great deal of money to recruit, so school principals have been told to be nice towards staff once in a while to prevent staff wastage. Schools can no longer dismiss several teachers at the whim of the school director/principal or owner as they can not be easily replaced, there is only a limited resource of fresh teaching stock available.

I know some rent-a-name school organizations have to recruit 100 teachers/year in China just to maintain current teacher numbers.

18. englishdragon

@february31st .......in breaks between playing with his organ in the church loft, the UK Head of School needed to be extremely nice just to retain - UNTIL THE END OF YEAR ONE - the first cohort (2017-2019) of little teacher lambs
    [This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]

19. february31st

If the second wave of staff face the same problems they should take legal action in the UK against the school and named individuals.

Staff in dispute should contact their MPs to question the Minister of the Foreign and Commonwealth Office to investigate the relationship between the school in the UK and the one in China.

20. rideemcowboy

Yes,
    The Organist was emphatic in his guarantee that his UK school would take full responsibility for any outstanding payments not met by Boy Wonder. He put it in writing so I assume the proposed legal class action should have some teeth.
    Why would he put himself and his school through this? Embarrassment upon embarrassment.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2018
    ruthwill500 likes this.