1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Please help - query about many jobs advertised today by a school in China

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by ruthwill500, Mar 7, 2018.

1. lovely.lady

lovely.lady Occasional commenter

@february31st maybe contact the journalist - I have via twitter [This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]

2. lovely.lady

Just an update I have received a response from the journalist who wrote the recent Telegraph editorial about the rise of the “rent a name” schools. She is interested in speaking to me about my experiences and will be doing so next week.

If there are any others who wish to share their story, particularly from China please send me a personal message.
    @february31st @englishdragon @snitzelvonkrumm @tianjinjustice @ruthwill500

Hopefully we might be getting somewhere!

3. englishdragon

englishdragon Occasional commenter

@lovely.lady @snitzelvonkrumm BRAVO BRAVO BRAVO

Yes, as a well informed third party with first hand observations , I am interested, thank you @lovely.lady..........
    However, I do not use twitter. Too old.
    Could you please confirm that the journalist will use her email address? I can send her her an email.
    There may also be number of additional rent-a-name victims interested in sharing their experiences.

snitzelvonkrumm and lovely.lady like this.
  4. lovely.lady

Yes she responds to email as quoted by @snitzelvonkrumm but she’s on holiday for the rest of this week.

snitzelvonkrumm likes this.
  5. snitzelvonkrumm

snitzelvonkrumm Occasional commenter

6. lovely.lady

If you have suffered at the hands of the “rent a name” schools from the U.K. I urge you to contact this journalist. The more people that do this the more leverage we have against the U.K. schools taking notice. They can’t stick their heads in the sand!

7. rideemcowboy

rideemcowboy Occasional commenter

There appears to be a strong degree of moderation on this thread recently.
    Any ideas on the motivation behind the concerns about identifying schools on this thread?

snitzelvonkrumm and ruthwill500 like this.
  8. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

You may have noticed that four of the first five 'pinned' posts on this forum are, directly or indirectly, of the 'thou shalt not' variety. In particular, that the blue pencil shall be wielded with unremitting savagery if we identify particular schools. This is, of course, understandable, because a major source of income is the staffing adverts the same schools place in the TES. One of the said pinned posts is a plaintive cry for suitable members of the forum to assist with moderating the rest of us reprobates. This implies that the job is too big for the resident staffers. (I suspect that there have not been many takers). My own experience suggests that the moderators redact 'reported' posts fairly uncritically. Indeed, I was once censured for a post which did not even remotely break the rules and when I pointed this out the moderator agreed and issued an apology. Notwithstanding the foregoing (yes, we have lawyers in our family) the word that will always press the panic button is 'journalist'.

englishdragon and rideemcowboy like this.
  9. rideemcowboy

Your explanation is much appreciated. As are the efforts of the moderators in their attempts to find a fair balance.

snitzelvonkrumm and ruthwill500 like this.
  10. lovely.lady

Need to keep this thread fresh and in focus! Yes the moderators are snooping but they need to understand what is like to suffer at the hands of the foreign owners from the 'rent a name' schools. The UK schools are only interested in the money and deliberately turn a blind eye to the many wrong doings!

11. dandad3

dandad3 New commenter

an ad for a job is currently posted for a brit-ish boarding school starting a branch in SH Shigh-ai. In fact the they have no clue about the international branch. Can an agency rent a name and start a School in a different Country?
    If someone has any experience with this agency I would be very grateful.
    I am a bit of an experienced practitioner, worked in Wuhan so I am glad to help anyone out with questions about work in the Middle Kingdom. For me the best students reside in Bei, due to collaboration and competition and there are little complaints from teachers and less threats from the parens committee if a School manages to recruit some of the competitive talent year after year.
    The agency in question rhyming with Bay

12. rideemcowboy

Just testing the water.
    Would the following be vague enough?
    Many Letter School in Northern China
    More than 3 letter school in Northern China

13. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

According to my (admittedly shaky) geography, northern China would be slightly to the south of Aspull and a long way to the east of Anglezarke, so your clues don't ring any bells. The hippo would certainly know. It depends if 'they' have been alerted. A while ago I was taken to task for quoting an Edith Piaf song my choir was rehearsing, courtesy of my (then) habitual troll who made a patsy of some unsuspecting mod.

14. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

I know what you went through was horrible, but please don't generalize. Not all "rent-a-name" schools are like that - where I work could be defined as one (but the relationship is much more intertwined than yours was) and is pretty much the opposite. Equally, there are schools who have an established name locally but who are even worse than yours (there's one in the city where I live which springs to mind.)

15. february31st

february31st Established commenter

Just waiting to meet the new wave of teachers coming to work in the new bilingual schools here in Shanghai.

The new bilingual schools that opened last year didn't get off to the best of starts and I fear this will continue this year.

16. ruthwill500

ruthwill500 New commenter

*** seems to be a popular topic at the moment.
    There is another review on the school Rideemcowboy has disguised under the name The Many Letter School in Northern China.

snitzelvonkrumm likes this.
  17. rideemcowboy

Has there been any news on the journalist from the Telegraph writing a follow-up article on the UK rent a schools?
    I agree that not all school franchises are having the same difficulties. Many provide an excellent education for their students and extend the good man of their parent school. However, there are a number of clear exceptions where the outcomes are nothing short of irresponsible.

ruthwill500 and snitzelvonkrumm like this.
  18. englishdragon

englishdragon Occasional commenter

One wonders what is happening at the Six Letters Hopeless International Kingdom Sad Values School in the fourth largest city in China, on the coast an hour east of Beijing, with a English partner from an hour south of London in a county rhymes with Bent. Did they actually register the new foreign teachers with the correct police station within 24 hours of arrival this year, or did they fake it like last year (August 2017), and put the teachers in legal jeopardy by not registering them at all? Did they give the foreign teachers their work permits? Did they give the foreign teachers a countersigned copy of the contract? Do they have an Employment Handbook in a language that the foreign teachers can access? Has the Employment Handbook been democratized as required for validity in a court of law? Is the school compliant with the pension scheme of the Social Insurance Administration? Are the local teachers still being required to sign illegal contracts?

Has the Empress Dowager now officially declared her hand, making it clear to all foreign teachers, the international head from Oman, and the parents that she is the Divine Ruler who makes every single decision, and that the Hopeless International Kingdom Sad Values School was created by her firstly, to continue providing a substandard very restricted pomp and ceremony mollycoddled Chinese kindergarten culture to all the years of primary education; and secondly, to give a facade for garden party tales to her coterie of blue rinse aunties that her first born son has somehow made a success of himself in life (in addition to ascending K2, Ararat and Aconcagua, NOT!). Is Chinese Law still being used as the reason that most things logical cannot be adopted or implemented? The Chinese Law of the Empress Dowager, as opposed to the actual Law of the Land, which is not to be observed in any way by the Empress Dowager and her acolytes.

One wonders if the new teaching cohort are now waking up to reality, and finding out that the stories and promises from the Sussex Pomegranate are no better than the Fairytales of Grimm. While the Sad Values Head of School organist continues to play with his organ in Kent.

19. ruthwill500

ruthwill500 New commenter

One certainly does wonder. I never did like Grimm's Fairytales.

rideemcowboy and snitzelvonkrumm like this.
  20. rideemcowboy

Surely the UK based Headmaster's patience must have been exhausted by now. One can only assume with a fresh new school year underway he has taken control and insisted on some level of integrity from the owners, and autonomy for the international Leadership. Or will he once again turn a blind eye to another year of throwing unsuspecting teachers under a series of buses?

ruthwill500 and snitzelvonkrumm like this.