1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Please help - query about many jobs advertised today by a school in China

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by ruthwill500, Mar 7, 2018.

1. ruthwill500

ruthwill500 New commenter

englishdragon Clarification Please. Have I got this right? Two English gentlemen have decided it is counter to Chinese culture to inform children and parents that their teacher is leaving? It is understandable that the 'management?' (sorry the word management takes on a new meaning with this school) do not wish the community to know that all teachers are leaving and why. However, to try to justify this decision, so that Chinese cultural sensitivities are maintained, is beyond belief.

snitzelvonkrumm likes this.
  2. february31st

february31st Established commenter

May come as a shock to students and parents first day back at school when all the teachers have different names and faces.

ruthwill500 and snitzelvonkrumm like this.
  3. snitzelvonkrumm

snitzelvonkrumm Occasional commenter

And a 4th Headmaster within a year!

Has anyone else come across this ancient and revered Chinese custom of misinforming children and parents, not celebrating the wonderful contributions of departing teachers, hoping and praying the results of your own mismanagement will go away if you do not tell anyone? Bullying and pressuring teachers into signing documents that take any rights of reprisal, and falsely stating it is not just Chinese culture but Chinese law.
    No, we are not talking about the darkest days of the Cultural Revolution when books were burnt and teachers were persecuted and hounded by their own students who were in turn rewarded for their efforts. However, it is clear that this is the mode of thinking, the business mantra and good old times the owners have never progressed from.

If all this is not bad enough, it is all fully supported and reinforced by the totally compromised Sad Values School in the UK. How long will it take the UK Headmaster to realise that when the CoG states Chines law, it actually means mummy told me I need to make an illogical decision, so the best option is to blame it on Chinese law. But the 6 million RMB blinkers are firmly in place.

May God have mercy on the incoming teachers.

Any bets on how long the new Headmaster will last?

It's enough to make my very low tum churn, turn and throw.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
    rideemcowboy and ruthwill500 like this.
  4. february31st

This order probably had a financial aspect to it as parents had not paid next years school fees. If parents realized all the teachers were leaving then they might move schools and not pay the school fees.

ruthwill500 and snitzelvonkrumm like this.
  5. tianjinjustice

tianjinjustice New commenter

Sad Values School Headmaster too busy play his organ.
    No time do right thing Tianjin.
    600 000 RMB pay plenty. Just play his organ.

6. snitzelvonkrumm

School's over at last but has the nightmare actually finished?

7. february31st

It will all start again in September, but in more new bilingual schools across China.

8. ruthwill500

I would love to be a fly on the wall at the 6 Letter School in Tianjin when at the first staff meeting the new Head and all the International teachers realise that there is no one among them who is not on their first day. You would assume, if they have not told the parents and children all the teachers have left, they will not have told the new teachers either.

rideemcowboy likes this.
  9. rideemcowboy

rideemcowboy New commenter

D
    Does anyone have contacts with any of the incoming staff? Surely the remaining Chinese staff will be able to pass on some details. There are some Chinese staff staying, yes? Perhaps this thread has finally died now that all expats have departed? Wouldn't it be reasonable to assume that at least some of the incoming staff have done a search on TES for Tianjin and thought - 6 letter school? How many letters in my new school? Yes, they advertised many positions? Strong connection with a school south of London? Must be a coincidence.

10. ruthwill500

Another hard-hitting post has appeared on International Schools Reveiw.

11. englishdragon

englishdragon Occasional commenter

To all incoming teachers new to China - please read and bookmark this post: https://community.tes.com/threads/c...uide-know-your-rights-and-defend-them.776960/

China is an ALTERNATE universe. You will be overwhelmed by everything. Do not let unscrupulous owners take advantage of the fog of bewilderment that will surround you.

This especially applies to the 100% replacement new teaching faculty arriving at the Hopeless International Kingdom Sad Values School in Tianjin, the 'rent-a-name' ******* child of the Sad Values School from a county rhymes with Bent, an hour south of London.

Use it as a checklist when you join your new school. It will be an integrity and honesty measure of your school management and ownership.
    Feel free to pm me if you have questions, or if you are fairly new to TES, just leave a message asking me to start a Conversation thread.

rideemcowboy likes this.
  12. snitzelvonkrumm

I am not sure if it is hard-hitting enough under the circumstances. Unlike on TES, names can be included. I feel the review held back by not mentioning Dr M, the pomegranate king. He is clearly a wonderful candidate to be engaged by and ruthless Chinese owners. On the surface, he is nicer than nice and can provide a warm comfortable sense of support and security. At the same time, he is willing to throw all UK recruited staff under a series of buses.

englishdragon and rideemcowboy like this.
  13. rideemcowboy

14. snitzelvonkrumm

Has the Cowboy been a naughty boy, again?

rideemcowboy likes this.
  15. rideemcowboy

It would seem so.

16. mikemcdonald25

mikemcdonald25 Occasional commenter

So where are you off to Schmitz? English dragon has some of his clues mixed up, alfajores are very Argentine, while pisco is a Peruvian/Chilean speciality, and of course good beef can be had all over SA. I am guessing Argentina because of his tango comment? Just be careful after your China experience there are dodgey schools in SA too!!!!

17. mikemcdonald25

mikemcdonald25 Occasional commenter

Sorry - snitz not Schmitz. Look out for the schnitzels in Argentina too, where they are called a Milanesa. English dragon forgot to mention the wine as well. Wonderful country - enjoy!

18. snitzelvonkrumm

I have copied this from another thread as I thought it might of interest to those following the fortunes of the 6 letter school or the Duke's Boot School - an article about British Schools being franchised.
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/educati...e-report-finds/amp/?__twitter_impression=true
    Some encouragement for the journalist might be in order to produce a follow-up article pointing out the fallout to the schools and the unsuspecting teachers who take positions thinking they are going to work and be supported by a prestigious well-established school.