1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Please help - query about many jobs advertised today by a school in China

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by ruthwill500, Mar 7, 2018.

1. ruthwill500

ruthwill500 New commenter

I have noticed that the 6 letter school has once again advertised for classroom teachers on TES. I feel fortunate to have been forewarned by those who responded on the forum. I do know of at least a few other teachers who changed direction after reading your comments and those on ISR. I suppose we cannot reach/ warn everyone but I do hope that as many as possible are able to make a considered decision.

rideemcowboy and snitzelvonkrumm like this.
  2. tianjinjustice

tianjinjustice New commenter

@ruthwill500, @lovely.lady, @february31st @englishdragon.....thank you all comments about six letter school has UK partner about one hour south of London in county sounds like bent. It is very important to warn any new teachers that six letter school has very bad record. Several employment disputes in Tianjin courts now. This school break Chinese Labor Law, does not keep contracts.

Foreign teacher work very important for our children, our families, our future in China. Chinese Labor Law is strong. Any teachers can read about @lovely.lady campaign makes law stronger, more protect teachers >>>> https://community.tes.com/threads/chinese-employment-disputes.773189/

I want all foreign teacher in China to know their rights, and know Chinese Labor Law protect them. Important all school, include six letter school, start to obey the law.

3. snitzelvonkrumm

snitzelvonkrumm Occasional commenter

I note that they have not advertised for all of the positions on the original list. Unfortunately, I can only assume this means some teachers have unwittingly accepted positions at the 6 letter school.

4. february31st

february31st Established commenter

Unfortunately on several occasions I contacted teachers about the situations of the Oger schools in Shanghai and Tianjin. I even sent copies of emails from the school informing current staff that the school was unable to pay wages, rents and insuranced.

Even after providing all the evidence of the schools immediate financial collapse, teachers still wanted to work there!

You just cant help some people!

5. englishdragon

englishdragon Occasional commenter

@february31st ...yes. One has to wonder about some people's faith that somehow they will enjoy justice when everyone who went before them has been wantonly abused and slaughtered........

The Crooked Tianjin Six Letter International School (CTSLIS) continues to burn employee compensation benefits with glee. Remaining foreign teachers were told this weekend that CTSLIS will no longer cover utility payments; despite employment contracts that very clearly state:

"a. The CTSLIS will pay a housing subsidy of up to ¥XXXX per month for single International Teachers and ¥XXXX per month for International Teachers’ with families (this overall upper limit total to include housing rental, bills, taxi and agency fee; bills include water, heat, light and electricity, internet and television, gas and property fee, up to an upper limit of ¥XXXX; and where necessary taxi allowance if the location of the apartment requires this),
    b. There is an upper limit on one category only, the accommodation bills (such as water, heat, light and electricity, internet and television, gas and property fee); CTSLIS will pay the accommodation bills every month up to a ceiling or upper limit of ¥XXXX only.
    "​

Suddenly, nine months after starting, CTSLIS has withdrawn these contracted benefits from foreign teachers. The battle to receive promised end of contract pension benefits and the final two months of salary payments is already in full swing.

Everyone, please be warned. CTSLIS has re-advertised for Year 1 and Year 2 classroom teachers. It does not matter how attractive the contract looks on paper, or how smooth the tongues may be of of the Sad Values School UK-based recruiting partners. Once you arrive in China, you are totally at the mercy of the Empress Dowager and her acolytes. The smooth talking UK-partners will suddenly claim they are simply advisors with absolutely no management authority. The nightmare will repeat.

rideemcowboy likes this.
  6. snitzelvonkrumm

World Records?
    Does anyone know of another school where 100% of the foundation international teachers have departed within the first year of a two year contract?
    Does anyone know of a school that has had more than four Headmasters within a year?

rideemcowboy and ruthwill500 like this.
  7. ruthwill500

Good luck to those teachers finishing up next month at the 6 letter school. I hope you have all secured positive positions.
    Has anyone reading on TES decided to take on these positions? It should be interesting to watch from afar.

rideemcowboy likes this.
  8. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Yes, I do indeed know of a school in Doha that had four heads in one year. With an owner like Madam A***, I am surprised it was not more. Two teachers also died at the school in one year.

snitzelvonkrumm likes this.
  9. englishdragon

@the hippo - For the nine foundation expats at the now infamous hopeless international kingdom sad values school, aka the six letter school, in Tianjin, it would appear that workplace was actually a fate worse than death

10. snitzelvonkrumm

englishdragon hopefully they can take the view, that anything that does not kill you should be put down as a learning experience. I am sure they will look back and see some reward in the way they have supported each other.

11. TusitalaH

TusitalaH New commenter

I'm sure I'm being stupid but I have no idea which school is being talked about here...
    I've tried to find a six letter international school in Tianjin (on google and ISR) but can't seem to find one. Any further clues would be great as it sounds like one to be avoided!

12. snitzelvonkrumm

englishdragon uses various codes, his most recent being
    hopeless international kingdom sad values school,
    aka the six letter school
    The first 3 letters of the first 3 words representing the local connection, the last 3 words for the UK school.
    Has that helped?

13. englishdragon

TusitalaH - if you can't figure it out, just play safe and avoid Tianjin.
    The Febster would certainly endorse that choice.

14. TusitalaH

TusitalaH New commenter

Found it - thank you!

rideemcowboy likes this.
  15. snitzelvonkrumm

Or simply stick to 3 letter school

16. englishdragon

@ruthwill500 - how are things working out with the school that you and your husband selected.......I can assure you this was the best decision. While counting down the days to their escape, the current expat staff at the Six Letter School have now entered a long drawn out battle with the sad values school SLT in Kent to try and force the hopeless international kingdom management in Tianjin to actually deliver what everyone was promised in their contracts. All bets are that it will not end well. It is also not clear how the current parent community will react, or accept, the fact that the entire foundation teaching staff are leaving. Several other new international staff have turned down positions that were offered, once they did a little further due diligence via Skype, LinkedIn and ISR. It will be incredibly interesting to see what happens to the Six Letter School in 2018-2019.

17. ruthwill500

We do not arrive at our new school until August but their communication has provided a very positive impression thus far. I hope those departing the school in Tianjin can do so without too much drama.

rideemcowboy and englishdragon like this.
  18. february31st

february31st Established commenter

It sad to say the 6 letter school has taken over from where the Oger school left off before it closed a couple of years ago.

Have the authorities learnt their lesson from the Oger school and be a bit more proactive in the management of this new disaster area of a school bringing the good name of Tianjin down in the mud.

Will the parent school in the UK step in to discipline its franchise or will it take the money and hide its head in the sand. One school in Shanghai paid 6million rmb for the rent of a UK schools name and then a percentage of the fees/year thereafter.

Unfortunately there are some atrocious schools around the world that have been open for years and manage to recruit staff.

But maybe the IRS and a Facebook page will warn prospective recruits to stay clear. Also with the large number of new Bilingual schools opening up, teachers can be a bit more selective in schools we want to work in.

19. englishdragon

The collected wisdom of the Empress Dowager of the Hopeless International Kingdom Sad Values School -----the 'rent-a-name' Tianjin offspring of the sad values school from that county south of London rhymes with Bent.........

Quite recently, when teaching staff were directed to prepare Year 1 student/class performances for a graduation concert on August 28, staff automatically queried the timing, thinking the International Head meant June 28, as Term 3 ended with everyone escaping to freedom ASAP on June 29. Oh, no, the head responded that it was August 28 meant to coincide with some kindergarten program. Puzzled, and bemused, teaching staff asked the International Head about how it could be possible to prepare the Year 1 students for a event that was two months after school ended. His response suggested that nobody in the SLT - the Dowager and Acolytes - had even considered that.

Counting down the days.............

20. snitzelvonkrumm

The fun and games continue at 6 letter school. There is now considerable doubt about our ability to access our final 2 months salary once we leave the country. The lack of support from the English partner school is beyond belief. Counting the days, but who knows what twists and turns still await us.