1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Please help - query about many jobs advertised today by a school in China

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by ruthwill500, Mar 7, 2018.

1. february31st

february31st Established commenter

If an agency does send someone to a bad school there is very little they can do about it, refund the fees? Compensation would be out of the question as this could amount to 100,000USD if it involves paying school fees for children.

No agency has asked me about any school in Shanghai or China and I can name the ones that have had successful legal action taken against then in recent years.

2. rideemcowboy

rideemcowboy Occasional commenter

february31st, are you aware of which school has lost the most number of cases? It would appear that the school from Tiangin, that Englishdragon refers to as the Hopeless Values School, has now lost 3 cases in the courts.

3. february31st

february31st Established commenter

I think the chain of Oger schools has over 100 cases against the Directors and owners of the school in the last 5 years and four schools!

The good news I can see from the emails I have had from teachers and staff taking action against their employer is the case has been settled by the Employment Bureau without the need to continue to the legal courts and higher. So I think the brave teachers who have had taken action in the courts and won has changed the mind set of schools in not fighting a case against an employee in the courts. The biggest problem seems to be schools not wanting to follow Chinese Labour Law and issue leaving staff with the Release Letters required to transfer to another Chinese school.

Having a school name posted on the *** does impact the recruitment of new teachers no matter how gold plated the rent-a-name above the door. There is a school in Beijing that has totally trashed the school in Shanghai with the same rented-name due to all the court cases against it and its unfair treatment of teachers. The two schools may have the same rented-name but in reality have different owners and investors.

4. englishdragon

englishdragon Occasional commenter

This news story is worth reading (four months old): https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-education-idUSKCN1V2233

The final paragraph: "What has changed is that many government officials think that kicking out Western influences like English teachers is doing the Party’s work, and the schools are taking advantage of it” said Harris, the Seattle lawyer, who now advises against foreigners teaching in China. “The risks of going to China to teach far outweigh the rewards.

Of course, it is really important to remember that China is not monolithic, but a huge country with more than a billion people. There are many good schools, and many cities where foreign teachers are incredibly welcome and work is rewarding in every way.

5. ruthwill500

ruthwill500 New commenter

Any news on this school in Tianjin China? It's been almost 3 years since strarting. Hope they have made some positive progress, and those originals have all settled into suitables positions at other schools.

6. snitzelvonkrumm

snitzelvonkrumm Occasional commenter

Apart from the loss of court cases last year, all seems quiet. I assume things have improved, but it could hardly have deteriorated from 100% of staff leaving in their first year. Many a good school started with some extreme learning experiences.