1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Please help - query about many jobs advertised today by a school in China

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by ruthwill500, Mar 7, 2018.

1. rideemcowboy

rideemcowboy Occasional commenter

2. rideemcowboy

After asking the serious questions, ask to be put in contact with current teachers and do your best to chase down those who have recently departed.

3. february31st

february31st Established commenter

Also questions to ask include,
    1 Do I get a Christmas Holiday?
    2 Do I work 200 days or more?
    3 How many Saturdays do I work?
    4 Is the school day 10 hours.
    5 Do I have to carry out Boarding duties, evenings and weekends?

One Bilingual school is Shanghai has advertised 3 times already to fill vacancies for next year.

Do your research before you consider any offers.

4. englishdragon

englishdragon Occasional commenter

@rideemcowboy - one can often find those 'recently departed' escapees through LinkedIn

@february31st - an important additional question to ask if considering the Hopeless International Kingdom Sad Values School in Tianjin:

6. Do teachers have cleaning duties for the classroom?

5. rideemcowboy

englishdragon, have you been in contact with any recent departing staff? I have not noticed the same flurry of adverts, or are they using an alternative to TES.

6. englishdragon

@rideemcowboy.........more Chinese staff have left. I think that the Hopeless International Kingdom Sad Values School in Tianjin are now using the Edv****s agency. They may also have direct arrangements with University of Buckingham.

7. snitzelvonkrumm

snitzelvonkrumm Occasional commenter

Does TES or any of the teacher employment agencies ever refused to do business with schools that have horrific track records? Surely there must be some responsibility taken by those who facilitate the recruitment?

8. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

I know Search doesnt take a number of schools

9. february31st

No and No!

I contacted the TES team regarding a school in Shanghai/Tianjin that was going bankrupt and the response I got was the TES is not responsible for the contents of the adverts they show. As for employment agencies I would cross reference the schools they represent with the IRS. Some employment agencies will allow schools to attend their job fairs but they will not openly recruit for them to provide staff.

The only time a recruitment agency will refuse to work with a school is when the school does not pay the bill.

10. rideemcowboy

SEARCH does not allow new schools to recruit through them until they are well established and only then with references from teachers.

11. february31st

Plenty of other agencies will take the roll to fill vacancies in any schools regardless of their suitability, fair and equitable treatment of staff. Many of these agencies offer a service price half that of other well know agencies.

I suspect many schools don't use top recruiting agencies because of the costs incurred and not because an agency blacklists them.

Just because a school attends a recruitment fair does not give it a vote of confidence, just that it pays the agencies fees.

12. englishdragon

>>>>>>>>"SEARCH does not allow new schools to recruit through them until they are well established and only then with references from teachers."

@rideemcowboy ........that is not totally correct, I am aware of SEARCH enabling the recruitment of staff by a brand new start-up school in Guiyang China, the backwards ABIB-Guiyang, which was started by the owners of the backwards ABIB-Beijing. Despite a very far from stellar reputation in Beijing, SEARCH led more than a dozen international teachers into the cheetah's (or is that cheaters) den. Not unlike the Hopeless International Kingdom Sad Values School in Tianjin, the hired-through-SEARCH Foundation Principal at backwards ABIB-Guiyang did not last more than three months into the new school before being asked to leave by the owners. A majority of expat staff asked to be released from the second year of their contract and escaped to greener pastures as quickly as they could.

Despite their noble claims, SEARCH has blood dripping off their hands in cases like this.

13. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

I was very disappointed to read your post, englishdragon.

In SEARCH's defence, I would say that I have known them to "blackball" schools that have not treated their staff properly. With so many new schools starting in China, I would imagine that it must be rather difficult to keep informed about every school.

14. jacks_wasted_life

jacks_wasted_life New commenter

While I agree in principle that SEARCH can "blackball" schools, Hippo, I don't feel that your second statement holds up. The whole SEARCH process for teachers is one designed to protect schools by determining the quality of candidates through everything, save for a blood test. This is fair: we are trying to protect the education of children, after all.
    That being said, I am in agreement with @englishdragon. I wouldn't exonerate SEARCH because it is difficult to keep informed about every school that they add in China. They are receiving very nice fees for the trouble of adding these schools to their roster (and placing teachers) and I would argue that it is also their duty to vet schools which fail to meet basic criteria. There is a key transaction that many tend to forget: SEARCH needs good teachers. Unless they are more stringent about which schools they let into the club, teachers may opt to go elsewhere (GRC, for instance).

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
  15. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Well, it is a few years ago that I last had any dealings with SEARCH. Perhaps things have changed for the worse, alas. There seems to be a lot more recruitment agencies, of different kinds, that are around these days, so perhaps SEARCH need to be a bit more on the ball.

16. february31st

Just had a quick glance at several agents for teaching jobs in China and there is easily 3000 jobs listed in at least 400 schools. As my silver haired old grandmother use to say, "Integrity doesn't pay the bills". Please do your due diligence before accepting any job offers in China.

17. makhnovite

makhnovite Established commenter

'Perhaps things have changed for the worse, alas.'

Most of the original Associates have now retired and have been replaced by new blood - hhmmmm!

18. englishdragon

@jacks_wasted_life .......thank you. Yes, Search should make an effort to protect teachers from the terrible conditions endured at the backwards ABIBA in Guiyang. Their negligent claims significantly impacted the lives of about a dozen teachers.

@february31st ......perhaps old hands should develop a 'good school' due diligence checklist that prospecting teachers could use in assessing schools in China during the recruitment process.

@snitzelvonkrumm @rideemcowboy @the hippo @rouxx ........what do you think?

19. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

I generally agree with what jacks said above.

Search protects the schools rather than the teachers and I have seen increasing numbers of experienced teachers now going elsewhere (such as GRC) because they are beginning to realise that simply because a school is on the search database it doesn’t give any guarantees.

With the massive expansion of the international schools market (particularly in China) and the huge sums of money involved, it’s nigh on impossible for prospective staff to know if they have picked a school with integrity or are going to a hell hole.

I don’t know the solution though for the teachers...network, network, network?

20. snitzelvonkrumm

snitzelvonkrumm Occasional commenter

Without doubt SEARCH does and should protect 'their' schools. But in my experience these are the schools that have proved themselves as return customers and ones that they trust. They do take measures with schools who wish to start a relationship with SEARCH more than other recruitment agencies. Schools must provide a variety of references from current and past teachers, this is more than most other agencies or TES require.