1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Please help - query about many jobs advertised today by a school in China

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by ruthwill500, Mar 7, 2018.

1. rideemcowboy

rideemcowboy Occasional commenter

2. rideemcowboy

After asking the serious questions, ask to be put in contact with current teachers and do your best to chase down those who have recently departed.

3. february31st

february31st Established commenter

Also questions to ask include,
    1 Do I get a Christmas Holiday?
    2 Do I work 200 days or more?
    3 How many Saturdays do I work?
    4 Is the school day 10 hours.
    5 Do I have to carry out Boarding duties, evenings and weekends?

One Bilingual school is Shanghai has advertised 3 times already to fill vacancies for next year.

Do your research before you consider any offers.

4. englishdragon

englishdragon Occasional commenter

@rideemcowboy - one can often find those 'recently departed' escapees through LinkedIn

@february31st - an important additional question to ask if considering the Hopeless International Kingdom Sad Values School in Tianjin:

6. Do teachers have cleaning duties for the classroom?

5. rideemcowboy

englishdragon, have you been in contact with any recent departing staff? I have not noticed the same flurry of adverts, or are they using an alternative to TES.

6. englishdragon

englishdragon Occasional commenter

@rideemcowboy.........more Chinese staff have left. I think that the Hopeless International Kingdom Sad Values School in Tianjin are now using the Edv****s agency. They may also have direct arrangements with University of Buckingham.

7. snitzelvonkrumm

snitzelvonkrumm Occasional commenter

Does TES or any of the teacher employment agencies ever refused to do business with schools that have horrific track records? Surely there must be some responsibility taken by those who facilitate the recruitment?

8. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

I know Search doesnt take a number of schools

9. february31st

february31st Established commenter

No and No!

I contacted the TES team regarding a school in Shanghai/Tianjin that was going bankrupt and the response I got was the TES is not responsible for the contents of the adverts they show. As for employment agencies I would cross reference the schools they represent with the IRS. Some employment agencies will allow schools to attend their job fairs but they will not openly recruit for them to provide staff.

The only time a recruitment agency will refuse to work with a school is when the school does not pay the bill.