1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Please help! PGCE Classics?

Discussion in 'Classics' started by bowthompsonbonnie, Mar 2, 2020.

1. Hi all,

I am studying BA Classical Studies, I have History, English Lit and Classical Civ A-Levels, I would like to teach secondary/FE so require a PGCE and QTS. I have looked into it but would like more advice on how to go about applying. So far I see Sussex have a programme that doesn't require me to have GCSE/A-Level Latin. I did a year of Latin last year in my first year at university, and passed successfully. I have decided not to continue with it.

I have looked into School Direct routes, but to my knowledge these require extensive school experience, which I do not have.

Please can someone help!!

2. jenny_jia

jenny_jia New commenter

Let us help you.

3. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

You don’t need school experience to do a PGCE. This is laid down statutorily and no provider can ask you for it. It is good practice, but cannot be made a part of offer.

When looking at subject knowledge, all aspects of your knowledge are taken into account.

There is a limited field of employability with classics. Probably mostly independent schools. Your English A level gets you onto English with an SKE. That provides excellent employability and you would still be able to teach classics on the side.

4. frustum

frustum Star commenter

I would have thought independent schools would be looking for people with more than a year's worth of studying Latin, too, so you might not stand the best chance of getting the posts there are.

In the state sector, you're almost certainly going to have to teach something else too, and as MrMedia suggests, you might well be better training to teach English or history, offering the possibility of teaching Classical Civilisation in addition.