1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Please help! Part time directed time

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by tom clancy, Sep 10, 2011.

1. Your Head is at least part right.
    You can be directed to attend meetings if they fall on a day which you normally work.
    You really need to look closely at the rules for p/t teachers and see if attending the meeting does actually go over your proportion of DT. My guess, knowing only what you have posted, is that it may not.

2. But how can this be right, I have to dicuss things with my job share partner and I teach reception so can't just come in at 9 o clock with the children, this must surely be going over my directed hours how unfair.

3. Your directed time is only the time when the head is directing what you do with that time e.g. your timetabled teaching time, staff meetings etc. Liaision with your job share partner is not usually directed (a few schools have a planned overlap/PPA halfway through the week but most don't, in my experience) and is one of the things that make jobshares a nightmare. You usually have to just find the time to do it.
    Time preparing for your class before school is not directed time either. I sympathise - when I taught reception classes I had to be in before 7.30 to get everything set up - once again though, your head is not directing you to arrive that early and therefore it's not part of your directed time. Chances are your directed time starts 10-20 minutes before the children arrive.
    Schools are supposed to have a Directed Time budget so you could ask for a breakdown. Yours should come to 1265 x 0.6.

4. Becky is quite right I am afraid. Different age groups and subjects bring different pressures: as a secondary English teacher I certainly don't have the same amount of set up you as a reception teacher have but I would be inclined to think I have a slightly heavier marking load. However, my marking time is not directed; time spent in meetings is.
    Speak to your union if you are unsure.

5. jubilee

jubilee Lead commenter

Assuming that you are directed to be in school 10 minutes before the start of the pupil day and 10 minutes after, that makes a normal Directed day of 5 contact hours + 20 mins before and after school + 15 mins morning break, making 5hrs 35 mins.
    A 3 day week makes it 16hrs 45 minutes. That would apply for the 38 pupil weeks, so 636.5 hours
    If you then attend 38 weekly meetings on Mondays, your Directed Time budget reaches 674.5 hours.
    You then attend 0.6 of the 5 INSET days (3 day)= 15 hours, making 689.5 hours.
    As a 0.6 teacher your DT maximum is 759 hours, leaving 69.5 hours to be allocated to Parents' Evenings etc.
    It may be that your DT day is longer than 5 hrs 35 if there is registration time outside the 5 contact hours ... in which case add 38 weeks of your extra time in.
    You also need to deduct the daily DT time for any of your work days that are not term-time in the 38 weeks (Bank Holiday Mondays, for instance).
    If parents' evenings etc (on your work days) are likely to tip you over the DT maximum for 0.6, you might want to suggest that you miss selected Monday meetings that are less useful for you.
    If a meeting or parents' evening falls on one of your non-work days, you don't have to attend. You could, for instance, have other work committments on those days and even if you haven't got another job, you are free on those days to be wherever you want. If you agree to go in ona non-work day, you have the right to be paid extra (supply hourly rate which is either your annual salary divided by 1265 or the salary divided by 975 ...whichever system is used by your LA's payroll).

6. Wow Jubilee.
    I am very impressed!

7. I've been having a bit of a nightmare over this. I've also moved to a 0.6 contract and last week I was asked (nay, told) to come in for an inset on one of my non-working days without extra pay. So i've been looking at the pay and conditions document a lot as well as the NUT guidance for part time teachers.

Basically... the NUT says that you should attend 60% of the staff meetings. These need to be decided with your head.

One of my work days is the staff meeting day, I think i'm going to battle out the being paid for inset days and leave the staff meeting issue for a while. However, I teach Forest Schools 3 times a week and i'm very concerned that I won't have time to get everything prepared in time.

Don't even get me started on the fact that i'm entitled to 10% ppa time, I think that would make me very unpopular.

8. coppull

coppull New commenter

Remember you work somewhere else on your non-working days,so you could not come into school.[​IMG]

9. I actually do work somewhere else on my non-teaching days. I am self employed and run my own business. Therefore, last monday I lost a days pay from my other job to be in school!

I'm quite looking forward to sitting down with my head on Wednesday and giving him the 2011 pay and conditions document. I'm the NUT rep in my school, so I gave myself advice!

10. jubilee

jubilee Lead commenter

If there is no 10% PPA in your 0.6 (3 day) schedule), you should tell them that thye have to pay you more than 0.6 for you to have the PPA on a 4th day!

11. That's correct, no ppa in my timetable. Although in theory I get an extra half hour lunch one day because our key stages have different timetable. But that's certainly not 10%.

So difficult, i'm the only part time member of staff and I want the school to remain flexible, especially as i'm leaving in February for maternity.

12. NQT1986

NQT1986 Occasional commenter

What did your Head say about payment for the training day-just out of interest? Mine seems to have the view that as a 0.6 teacher, I should do (unpaid) 3 out of 5 training days whether they fall on my days or not!

13. This is EXACTLY my heads theory. I have yet to have a decision on it back from him, but I did pluck up the courage to confront him on it. I am 100% sure that I am correct. If you look at the stpcd (page 160 i think) there is a paragraph that states you should be paid. There is also a NUT document about part time pay and conditions which states this very clearly.
    From the document, it isn't a grey area at all. It says that you cannot be required to work a non-contact day if it isn't on your normal working days, but if you do then you must be paid as additional hours.
    He still tried to argue his way out of it, we are due an ofsted at the moment so i'm going to give him time over it, but I will seek union support if this isn't resolved before I go on maternity in february.

14. Ofsted imminent or not, your HT is plain wrong. My advice would be to keep at him in a very polite manner until he sees the light. If you have not already done so, give him a copy of the relevant section of STPCD which cannot really be argued with. Refer to your union as a last resort so you don't damage the relationship with your Head.