1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Please help ofsted lesson obs - nursery PSRN money

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Spice0012, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Spice0012

Spice0012 New commenter

please help got ofsted next week and its our summer fair, EYFS co-ordin wants us to focus on money for our group sessions. I have loads of little independent activities but can;t think of any nice carpet time session actvities. Sorry to sound supid but its only my first term in nursery and I have little experi to drw back on.

2. Spice0012

Spice0012 New commenter

3. May2

May2 Occasional commenter

I would be interested to here what all your independent activities for money are as we don't really do much with money in nursery apart from role play with a till in a beach shop or some other type of shop occasionally.
    Could you perhaps have a large tin and get the children to listen very carefully as you drop pennies into a tin, then ask how many pennies they think there were, then count them all out together and see how much money you have.

Or perhaps linking to your Summer Fair could you set up a tombola game with toys labelled with different numbers they can recognise. A child then has a penny to buy a ticket and see if they can recognise and match a number to 'win' a prize. Sorry this is just of the top of my head as money sounds a bit tricky in Nursery. You need to do something you feel comfortable with in Nursery with OFSTED there. May be you have a very bright intake and you have already got them familiar with a lot of coins.

4. What are your 'group sessions'? If these have adult support/input you might be able to use the idea of money in a meaningful and useful way, but if they are 'independent activities' that is going to be very difficult.

5. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

i agree with the others. The only way I have used money is in the role play. I made labels for a toy shop with the amount in p on one side and pictures of 1p coins on the other so they were counting in 1ps and recognising numbers. You could do the current buns in a bakers shop rhyme as your carpet session but thats all I can think of.

6. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I was also going to suggest 5 Currant buns in a bakers shop, handing over real pennies and counting up how many pennies the baker has at each verse. I don't think you can take it much further than that in Nursery though.

7. I would suggest asking the EYFS coordinator to think of stuff!