1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Please help!! Observation

Discussion in 'Primary' started by cariad2, May 9, 2011.

1. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

Why don't you post 1 or 2 of your ideas, and maybe we could help you work out how to fit them into the rtme frame.

2. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

Aargh! "time frame" (I spotted a typo, but then ******** it up even more when I retyped it.)

3. Lesson objective?
    Your ideas?

4. well i thought i could have a bear who was going on holiday. He has packed his case and has 4 different colour t shirts and 3 different colour pair of shorts. He wants to wear different outfit everyday, how many outfits can he make?
    The children will then investigate the different combinations and a logical way of working them out. My problem is the recording bit, this will take up so much time but the kids need to record their combinations in order to remember which ones they have already done. Im also worried its a popular idea and someone else might have it. Should i steer clear of the trying to work out all possibilities route?

im just unsure :(

5. this would link with 'finding all the possibilities'

6. How will you differentiate it. I have done a similar activity with low ability year 1s. I teach year 2 now and they would find this quite simple.

7. i thought bout just adding more clothes for HA children. do have you have any alternative suggestions? My other idea was
    3 blue frogs on 3 lily pads on the right and 3 red frogs on 3 lily pads on the left and an empty lily pad in the middle. You hve to get them to alternative sides but there can never be 2 frogs on 1 lily pad and although they can jump they cant jump over more than 1 frog t a time. This is easier when you see it. But i thought this was too common.

Im afraid i really am stuck!

8. would this be to hard for year 2:

Present children with different sized bottles labelled as different ingredients for a spell and with different labels of l. and ml.

E.g. fairy sparkles 350ml, raindrops 10 ml, frog juice 5ml, newt jelly 505ml, bat tonic 25ml, crocodile slime 75ml

Tell children that in order for wizard spells to work, they must add up to exactly 1 litre. Ask them to investigate how many different spells they can make using the ingredients.

9. Your thread has given me some fabulous ideas. I am also a year 2 teacher and have an important maths observation coming up.
    I love samanthahant75 ideas of a problem using capacity and you could use bottles conatining different coloured liquid.
    Other good problem solving activities are: The ice-cream problem- children working out the different combinations and they can use coloured cubes to represent each flavour and then colour the combination on cones. More able have more scoops and less able have 2 scoops.
    Another one is giving children number cards 1-9 and 3 hoops. Children have to work out how to divide the cards into the 3 hoops so that each hoop has the same total.
    The bean bag problem - buckets labelled 1-4. Children have 3 bean bags - how many ways can they make the total 9? you can increase value of buckets for more able.

Hope they make sense