1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Please help! NQT just been through OFTSTED

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by KM404, Dec 7, 2010.

1. As an NQT I was new to Early Years, I was assured when I took the post I
    would be given support. Following good feedback in Summer Term,
    September saw me with a new intake and I wasn't given the support I
    should have had.OFSTED then arrived and gave our school notice to
    improve - I have recently been told my case will need to go to panel as I
    won't have met all the NQT standards. Please advise!

2. * OFSTED!

3. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

When did you start? Get your union in.
    If your NQT isn't up there are a number of options, extension/early release as well as appeal (which is best to avoid). Have you spoke to the LEA? They should have been in to see you if there was any dobt you wouldnot meet the standards. They can't land this on you in the final term unless there were things flagged up in term 1/2 reports.
    Good luck x

4. Thank you!
    I have been told my case will go to panel and I should be given an extra two terms to meet all the standards.Nothing flagged up in 1st or 2nd term! Quite the opposite - good feedback! Decided i didn't want to leave as thought it would be difficult to get another job in this situation. What do you mean by early release. Really hope i get given an extension - otherwise???
    Not a happy time! : (

5. I was granted an extention of 2 terms a few years ago under similar circumstances and it was OK. You didn't mention, but is you union involved? If not call them NOW and get a rep onside.

6. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Two terms?! Wow thats almost doubling the NQT. I really don't see how they can extend it so long if both terms 1&2 reports were good.
    Early relese is where the union negotiates you leaving before your NQT is up. The downside is you don't have a job. However they way I saw it (for me) was that if a school decides at the last minute they're got going to try and fail you for some ridiculous reason (mine was a clash with HoD who constantly bullied me) will they ever pass you? Only you know your school best so only you can decide.
    Its a rubbish place to be but alot of people have been there, some for their own shortcomings but a lot who were just unsupported or badly treated. Wishing you all the best xx

7. helenhaines

helenhaines New commenter

I agree with this - do it NOW - get them to observe you teaching if necessary, so you have an external viewpoint.

8. I'm a little confused.
    If you completed your first term in the summer then term two should have been sept to dec and term three jan - easter. So you should have completed induction at easter.
    HOWEVER this assumes you working full time as QTS from the start of the summer term. You may be part time or may not have gained QTS until augusat in which case induction should start in September.
    I don't understand the reference to a 'panel' eitrher.
    During induction you should have a mentor, support and/or extra training if there are probelms (and these must be identified as soon as possible during induction). If you are in danger of not meeting the standards then the school must get the LA involved and they must provide clear support and targets related to the standards they feel are not being met.
    The legal guidance for induction clearly state that not meeting the standards should not come latre in the year and it certainly should not be a 'shock' to the NQT.
    My advice would be to get your union involved ASAP and ask them to review your NQT year and to find out what the school/LA is actually proposing here.
    James