1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Please help: Need some advice for an amazing lesson!

Discussion in 'English' started by islandme, Mar 27, 2011.

1. Hi
    I have an interview on Thursday, at a school I am desperate to work in. Howevever, I'm struggling with the lesson. I'm to teach 10 yr top set girls on writing to 'Inform' OR 'Explain'. Such a terribly dry topic, and for this reason I'm struggling to come up with something that's going to be different and 'innovative'. I've had advice from teachers to put them into 4 groups and to get them to analyse articles, but have also been told that this activity is 'boring' and won't get me the job.
    I have 30 minutes.
    Would really appreciate some ideas, as I've never taught this before.
    Thanks so much x

2. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

3. Hi,
    if you really want to stick with the initial idea, make it fun!:
    1) 4 groups 4 text types- 1st group have to they have to identify the correct text type (the explain/ inform one).
    2) Pass the text on to next group who have to highlight sections of text that make it explain/ inform.
    3) Pass the text on to next group who have to look closely at the highlighted sections (from previous group) and identify the techniques that make it inform/ explain (e.g.objective view, chronological etc).
    4) Return to original group- look at learning objectives- then rank what the most important- least important features of the inform/ explain text type are.
    5) Plenary: true or false questions about inform/ explain tasks.
    Good luck!