1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Please help - my laptop battery seems to be very sick/dying...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Bethannie, Jul 1, 2011.

1. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

HELP!!!!!!
    okay, I don't speak 'computer' so try and bear with my confused explanation....
    My laptop is usually plugged in and running from the mains.
    A couple of days ago I noticed that despite being plugged in it was running from the battery. I checked the connection - it was definitely plugged in. The battery ran down to about 30% left and then started recharging. It got up to 90%ish and then stopped charging and ran on battery power.
    This happened a few times - the battery has never gone back to fully charged.
    Twice yesterday the laptop shut down because the battery power ran out. Despite the fact that it is plugged in. Each time I switched the laptop on again and started up showing a charging battery - but again kept stopping the charge,
    It's doing the same thing this morning - currently down to 33% remaining, occassionally charging up to about 50% and then switching back to battery.
    I'll try and see if there is a computer hospital in town - but I can't get out for a few days....does anyone have any insight - or even better ideas on what I can do to cure my poor sick laptop (it's about 6 months old)

2. Four things things could be naffed..
    1) battery
    2) laptop charger
    3) Laptop charging circuit
    4) Laptop input jack socket.

First thing to do is remove the battery , plug it into the mains and see if it runs.
    This will indicate that the charger and input jack socket would seem to be ok.
    Second download and install this free app..
    http://osirisdevelopment.com/BatteryBar/index.html
    This will give a better indication of battery condition and charging power.
    My guess is the battery is on its way out. Have a check on ebay for the cost of a suitable replacement.(put in your make and model number.)

3. Apologies first that I can't actually tell you how to fix this but I just wanted to say I had a similar problem and the school technician fixed it quickly and easily - it was the computer not the battery, and he just rebooted something! I know this isn't terribly helpful but I wanted to let you know it could be easily fixed! Do you have a school tech who could look at it before you pay someone?

4. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

No school tech to help.... I don't work

I've got a visitor in a few minutes (wonder if they know anything about laptops?.......) and then i'll try and work my way through Bauble's list....staring with trying to see how to plug the battery into the mains!

5. No no no ...remove the battery and then plug the LAPTOP into the mains thus running it off the charger only. :¬))

6. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I don't know if Bauble would agree but years ago I was told <u>not</u> to always keep my laptop plugged in with the battery in situ, because it does increase the chance of battery failure.
    So I usually run my laptop off battery only for a while each week. If people agree this needs to be done when you get your new battery.

7. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Ahhhh! That makes so much more sense![​IMG]
    Done it...removed battery....plugged in charger only...computer switched on, didn't even get to the password stage and backed out completely.
    So...I'm guessing the battery is fine (just can't recharge) and the power cable is knackered.

No chance of getting into town for a few days. So I'll be using the dodgy computer as long as it lets me and then checking e-mails et.c on the Kindle. (So glad I got a Kindle!)

8. The next thing to try is...

put the battery and charger back in...boot up the laptop (if you have enough battery left) and then gently waggle the charging lead (as it goes into the laptop) by the hard plastic end . See if there is a position where the battery icon turns to the charging icon. If you can, then this would indicate that the lead and charger are ok and the problem lies in the laptop's jack plug socket. A common problem is that one of the connections to the jack socket fractures and only intermittently makes contact.

9. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

waggling did nothing....battery is now dead...now using kindle with tiny keyboard! ....life is such fun!

10. Doglover

Doglover Occasional commenter

What make is your laptop and how long have you had it?

11. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

It's a Hewlett Packard (sp?)....about 6 months old, maybe a little older.
    My driver has been booked for Monday - hoping to go back to shop where I bought it, hope it might be under guarantee.

12. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

It'll have a 12 month guarantee.

13. Ah Baubs, ever the diplomat. Here's my source (with test results):
    http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

I have a vested interest because my batteries cost nearly £300 a go so I am keen to make them last as long as possible. Also it is known a) that manufacturers may overstate the performance of their batteries b) batteries vary in performance - you could just get a poor one and c) heat is the real killer for batteries especially laptop batteries. I read an article recently about research going on at Newcastle University which could result in batteries giving 10x their current life. Sadly I can't now find it!

14. I do know that if you don't fully charge a battery over a period of time it will "forget" its true capacity.