1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

PLEASE help me stop worrying about moderation.

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by mystery10, Apr 9, 2011.

1. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

Have you printed off all the official guidance, legal stuff, and conference quotes off the relevant threads on here that show you are right to do it the way you are doing it? Stop feeling worried, and start feeling cross instead that this person might question your evidence, and be ready to show them why they are wrong in the nicest possible way if they do start to say you have done it the wrong way and it doesn't pass their silly moderation process.

Also point out to them the major flaw in their process. Explain to them how everyone could pass their moderation process but with the wrong scores (too low) as it's terribly easy to gather some written evidence for a low profile score for each child and then to leave it at that, pass the moderation, but be a mile wrong on the moderated score.
    Ask them why you have to have everything written down when you have a good memory and know each child well? Explain to them that the less time you spend writing down long notes the more time you have to really assess the child and plan for them, so your assessment is more accurate, and their progress is greater.
    If you think the LA moderation process is wrong, say so. At the end of the day, what can this person really do other than be annoying? Have you thought that they might disagree with their LA moderation process too - it probably is not them personally who put it together.

2. In our Authority the moderation process is really supportive and useful. They don't grill you over your judgements and they don't expect that all your children will fit into neat little boxes. They listen to what you have to say and expect that most of your evidence will come from what you know about the child rather than endless bits of paper and photos. In fact, they are always telling EY staff to keep it simple and not spend vast amounts of time and resources creating massive folders of evidence.
    This year I have really slimmed down my evidence-gathering too. I gave up on doing long observations because they simply showed me nothing that I didn't already know - without adult prompting and direction one boy would spend 6 hours at the water tray emptying and filling containers, another would spend 6 hours sitting at the PC, another would flit around the room not engaging with anyone or anything... How much point is there in me spending any amount of time recording that kind of behaviour?
    Our advisors are very sensible (compared to some I've read/heard about) and often say that whatever we have told/shown them shows evidence of this and that from different scale points even though the evidence for that child may not meet one scale point criteria sufficiently to say they have achieved it. I find moderation really helpful - hopefully your experience will be the same!

3. Thank you both those posts have helped me. Feeling calmer now.