1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Please help me stay a teacher!

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by Mrs_Hamilton, Nov 2, 2015.

1. Mrs_Hamilton

Mrs_Hamilton Occasional commenter

I love my job. I have truly made a difference to children's lives. I am good at what I do. Over 12 years I've had a succession of lesson observations with good or outstanding (one was a requires improvement...but it was to serve a political purpose and I no longer work for such idiots).

I have worked in a state school and moved up to UPS1, and even worked a short while on L1. Due to circumstances in one school I was at for a very short time I 'needed' a job, any job. I took a position in a independent school which has served me well, but it really is not for me. I took a pay cut to take this job...and roughly I got £28k ft. The pay is not an issue.

One of my issues is the 'indy' thing just isn't right...not in this school, in this situation...it just doesn't sit well with me. If this were my only problem I would look for another position.

But it's not just that. I'm here in tears (again) over planning formats, data, assessments, lack of access to the usual SEN people that state schools get (I desperately need ed psych support for 2 children and sensory services for another), ludicrous times of staff meetings, ludicrous numbers of staff meetings, children some days being taught by unqualified staff...

I seriously do not know what my next move is. In an ideal world I want a part time class teacher job in a state school 3 or 4 days a week. And, for my own sanity I need to leave at Easter.
    But what if all those tear inducing things follow me? And because of the job market here and notice deadlines it is likely I'll need to hand notice in without securing a job first. And I'm unlikely to find a part time job...most (all) seem to be full time. I'm just scared and not sure whether it'll all be worth it in the end.

I want to stay teaching, I'm really good at it...but I've lost my enthusiasm, and want to find it again. And I want a life too! I don't want these tears either... (working) life shouldn't be this hard!

2. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

You are right, it shouldn't be that hard. I went from full time to part time to see if that made a difference, but it didn't, so in the end I left teaching completely. You will only know if this will work for you if you try it. I know I was good at teaching, but the unending paperwork did it for me - even when I was part time I was still filling the hours of the extra days up with school stuff.

State schools aren't getting the SEN support they used to because the money isn't there any more in the same quantity - it's harder to get a child statemented, and what money there is gets shared out very thinly, to state schools are suffering too.

If you leave at Easter, could you get supply work while you look for a new post starting in September (assuming you haven't landed one by the time you leave)? Handing in your notice does raise the spirits remarkably and gives a sense of freedom because you know the end is in sight.

Mrs_Hamilton likes this.
  3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Things are looking bad for you if you feel like this just after a holiday.

So this school is not right for you.

I am wondering if it is so much NOT RIGHT for you that you should be thinking of resigning.

As @monicabilongame says, there may well be a feeling of relief once you have made that decision that will lift a lot of the bad feelings you have

I don't know what your KS or subject is, nor where you are in the country. Nor do I know what your financial situation is.

If you think very carefully about this, decide to leave, and tell the Head formally in an official resignation letter well before the end of term, resigning for Easter, then they would have time to recruit for the summer term.

Or possibly they would plead with you to stay for the summer term too, agreeing to make life easier some way. Perhaps reduce your timetable for example.

But even if they don't. , you will have some time to try getting another job.

Would you feel better knowing you were in the way out?

Could you survive a term and a summer with sporadic income from supply?

Would you rather be penny pinching than miserable?

If you want a template resignation letter come to Jobseekers. Come there to for applications advice.

Keep strong.

Best wishes

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
    Mrs_Hamilton likes this.
  4. Mrs_Hamilton

Mrs_Hamilton Occasional commenter

Thank you so much both of you.

@TheoGriff
    I'll definitely be on jobseekers in the near future. This situation is ridiculous...last week I was in tears (at the shock, and really a 'straw that broke the camel's back') because the governors did a planning scrutiny!!!! But I kept the words 'stay strong' in my head and it got me through.
    Another day, another change in expectations, another goal post to be guessed at today. So a few more tears.
    I'm writing my resignation letter tonight.
    :)

5. ehirox

ehirox New commenter

I am at the same position in my job at the moment. Now I am looking abroad to Dubai.

6. maiwenn01

maiwenn01 New commenter

We should not have to feel that way, we should not have to run away from school to try to find a place with greener grass.
    I am a teacher too and I can already predict that I will not stay any longer. I feel that kids have become numbers, grades, money and paper work. That everything that is done with the kids is in fact done for the school to look good on the paper, to look good in front of some parents or good in front inspector. I, me too, do not want to play this game no more.
    Despite all that, I still love teacher.
    But I do not want to end up insane! So I guess my choice is made.

7. JamesH1lton

JamesH1lton New commenter

The fact that you know you still love teaching speaks volumes. I truly believe that not all schools are as intense as this. You need space to work out what is the best next step for you but do not doubt yourself - you make a difference!