1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PLEASE HELP ME---someone!!!!! stressed and feel terrible!!!

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by beckyboo123, Jun 9, 2015.

1. beckyboo123

beckyboo123 New commenter

Hi all ill just give a background to this before I talk, but I must get this off my chest as im stressing out so much over everything and shaking as I type.

Firstly im off with stress at the moment due to the constant pressure of my class. i work in a very deprived area and constantly get abuse and physical abuse daily of my 5 year olds. All of my boys have additional needs which the school don't understand, discruption daily!!! and after having 2 behaviour psychologists in they don't know what else I can do for them.

So long story short, they had the ofsted call yesterday whist im off sick, im stressing so much about these 2 days, ive been off sick now for 5 weeks and have some more to take.

Im just stressing over how my kids will do as the focus is on my year group. Also I know most will fail their phonics test because of poor listening skills, like only get 40% as I have huge behavioural problems and the fact ive had 6 new children in the past 2 terms which are nowhere near high phonic standards or ability, as they haven't been in my class long enough as well as being tricky children. Its all a mess and Im stressing so much its making me extremely ill!!!!!!!.

Unfortunately im no returning to teaching and handed in my notice February, up until that point I was getting great feedback and lesson obs were great, but i knew I should of left Easter, can someone offer me some advice as Im a nervous wreck and one jump away from having to go on tablets AND I DONT WANT TO!.

I use to be an outstanding teacher and now I feel like a complete failure, ive worked so hard and im burnt out, I feel like I can say goodbye to my reference.

2. cornflake

cornflake Senior commenter

You need to go back to your GP tomorrow

You are not well and don't need to think about ofsted

beckyboo123 likes this.
  3. beckyboo123

I wish it was as simple as that. I have an interview for my dream job on Thursday and need to pull myself together for it.

4. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

You need to focus on getting better - you aren't well at the moment. Your dream job can wait, your health needs to be the priority. Antidepressants are not the work of the devil and you should take your doctors advice - if you need them then take them. Consider whether attending an interview whilst on sick leave for a mental health condition is a wise course of action.

beckyboo123 likes this.
  5. 7eleven

7eleven Senior commenter

In the short term get some rescue remedy and put a few drops in water. Take a sip every minute for ten minutes. Repeat every hour.

beckyboo123 likes this.
  6. rachelpaula008

rachelpaula008 Star commenter

Dear Beckyboo. You need to see your GP and explain how you are feeling. Anti-depressants won't solve your issues at school, but do help to reduce panic and anxiety. You will need to take them for approx 3 weeks to notice their effects.

If you are signed off the school is responsible for, well, the school. It's not down to you, although I totally understand your feelings concerning Ofsted and your class. Easy for me to say I know, but you need to think about yourself and get better.

Please see your GP and I hope you have a support network - family / friends to speak to. When I was signed off it helped to go out at least once a day - even if it was a short walk or going to the shop for supplies.

Take care x

beckyboo123 likes this.
  7. gooddays

gooddays Senior commenter

I'd be more reluctant to take an unfamiliar product than something prescribed by your doctor. Good luck, beckyboo123!

beckyboo123 likes this.
  8. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I am not convinced about ' dream ' jobs. Take the advice from colleagues.

beckyboo123 likes this.
  9. Joydoron

Joydoron New commenter

Hi,

I really feel for you! I think Year 1 is one of the most stressful primary year groups, because so much maturing and progress is expected, and if children are vulnerable (like yours) it is extremely challenging. I can't imagine that Ofsted will think that the state of your class is all down to you. They will be looking at the management and the area from many points of view, so they will be able to read between the lines. I would be very relieved I didn't have to be in.

A different point is that it can be a disciplinary offence if you go to an interview while off sick - there was a post recently about it, where either Theo Griff or Middlemarch posted a link to ATL union's website, so be really careful about that. You really don't sound ready to be out there selling yourself. If it comes to the worst, do supply until you can build up a good reference.

Good luck and look after yourself.

beckyboo123 likes this.
  10. Joydoron

Joydoron New commenter

11. You have the class from Satan's cellar. You have done all you can. The strain of doing that and coming up to some notional standard of "averagely acceptable" (them, not you) would make anyone depressed and anxious.

There is nothing intrinsically wrong with you, and I REALLY REALLY want you to take that on board. There is nothing wrong with you as either a teacher or a human being. The system has been perverted into a sausage machine of uniformity and you are at the extreme end that the machine just chokes out little rats' tails and then blames the operator.

Yes. The stress you are under has made you unwell, just like the stress at my high-end comp has to 20% of staff who will be leaving this summer, though for a different stressor. It doesn't make you weak or unstable. It means you are in a no-win situation.

Please do whatever your GP suggests, because they've seen it all before and probably within their own practice, for similar reasons. But don't write yourself off. Look for another school, sadly getting few and far between, where they recognise the challenges their pupils present and actually celebrate their staff for doing what they can, rather than criticising them for doing what they can't. What nobody in mainstream can.

beckyboo123 likes this.
  12. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

"!Im a nervous wreck and one jump away from having to go on tablets AND I DONT WANT TO"

Why don't you want to? I don't understand why people get so het up about taking tablets for depression. If you have a headache, you take paracetamol. If you have a chest infection-you take antibiotics. The doctor would not prescribe antidepressants if he/she didn't think they were necessary. They work. Take them and you will feel more able to cope with the problems at school.

Good luck-not long until the end onf term.

beckyboo123 likes this.
  13. ada_nuff

ada_nuff New commenter

Dear becky, I am so sorry that I didn't see your cry for help earlier. I wonder how things are for you now? Please don't be so hard on yourself - the conditions under which you are expected to work are ridiculous. Why do we teachers blame ourselves so much for things well beyond our control and burdens not of our own making? I hope that you took the ADs - they are wonderful to get you through the worst of a bad patch. I also hope that you found your dream job, as you will discover that there is a world out there beyond the nightmare and the injury you have suffered - because that's what it is - a psychological injury-and will be able to be the wonderful teacher that we know you are. Kia kaha x

beckyboo123 likes this.
  14. beckyboo123

Hey guys, first time in 3 years that it has took me to read my posts back. When I look back at this unhappy time i realise how ill teaching made made me and how much of my life it had taken over.
    I can happily say now I've been in a different job i love for 3 years and feel 200000 times better than when J was teaching. My family no longer comes last and my work life balance is so much better. All i can say is, i gave it 10 years of my life, i miss some things but I'm all the better for getting out.
    I am a new person.

15. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

That's really good news. ☺

16. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

So glad to hear that you are well and life is good, beckyboo.

17. cornflake

cornflake Senior commenter

what do you do now? How did you escape?

18. i4004

i4004 New commenter