1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Please help me identify an old textbook / classbook

Discussion in 'English' started by anteater, May 27, 2011.

1. anteater

anteater New commenter

What you are looking for is "Oxford Secondary English" by John Seeley (Oxford University Press, first published 1982).
    There were in fact three of them in the series, and very good they were too! I also still use bits from them! They are all in black and white inside, as you say, but they do have pictures on the oursode (Kid flying kite on the blue one, something that looks like the concourse of a futuristic airport terminal or shopping centre on he red one). It's definitely what you are talking about, though, as it contains the extracts you mention.
    Hope this helps you track a copy down.

2. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

3. manc

manc New commenter

Agree - it is the Seeley and I use it a lot still. Books One and Two were very good - partic. Book One, but Book 3, not so good - altho' there is an interesting poetry section (Ted Hughes).

4. ceehorse

ceehorse New commenter

I have a copy of the book - it's book 2. Would you like a copy of the extracts? I can do them next week when I go back to school.

5. Ooooh! Thank you, lovely people. When I didn't get an answer within a couple of days - and then when half term came - I almost forgot about this thread. So I was thrilled to revisit the question and find answers to my query.

Ceehorse, I think I will invest in the whole textbook - if it's still on eBay - but thank you for your very kind offer. I do appreciate it.

Thanks all. I loved these textbooks and used them regularly,
    plymouthrock!