1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Please help maths app year 2

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Loopyloz, Apr 6, 2012.

1. I am
    Still getting my head around year 2 and apps after been in reception for 4 years. Am just wondering what sort of work people use as evidence for solving addition and subtraction problems with the support of self chosen practical apparatus, level 2c in the solving numerical problems strand. I know it could be word problems but what other stuff could it be? Could it be finding a missing number in an addition or subtraction? Whenever I think problems I just think
    Word problems!! Please help?

2. Can anybody help ?

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Photographs of them doing it generally. I give them a problem to solve and then they choose their apparatus and I take photos.

Sorry read the title as being an app, those things with i phones. I came back to see what people do with them in year 2.

4. Hi,
    I have taught Y2 for 10 years - I have never needed evidence for APP. You are making a professional judgement. But yes I would include missing number calculations as an example of their understanding if they need multilink or something to count. I wouldn't let APP get in the way of your own knowledge of the children. Any 'evidence' is their work in their books, your understanding of them as their teacher and any other observations, e.g. whether they know number bonds or doubles off by heart. Unless I have been doing it all wrong for the last few years....!! I will soon find out - I am being moderated by county in May. I will be using the children's books, my planning with AfL, and their progress shown on target tracker; and, of course, the children will be talking to the moderator. Was fine 4 years ago...
    Good luck!

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

We had a LA consultant in recently to moderate our maths TA with us to help ensure we are doing it right for May and to show us good practice and all that jazz.

I was fine with all my professional knowledge and judgements and none were questioned. However she did say that I needed to have 'evidence' in case I wasn't in school and they had to moderate without me. My chatty observations about seeing them do it in register time, on the playground, in certain lessons was deemed perfectly acceptable as long as I was there. However the moderation date is set in stone now and if I happen to get run over by a bus on the way in then school needs an evidence file to show.

Work in books doesn't show using the practical apparatus and anything other than answers to written tasks. Hence other 'evidence' is apparently needed.

But I imagine different moderators think differently...and different schools certainly do.