1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Please help! Maternity leave advice needed

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by soulsista, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Hi everyone

Am currently 23 weeks pregnant and am trying to sort out my maternity leave. From what I've read so far i know i have to give notice to go on maternity leave 15 weeks (at least!) before i intend to take it. However from working out dates etc i will not have my MAT form by the time i need to submit my letter. Is this likely to be a problem? Also I am trying to leave it as late as possible for my leave to start - does anyone know of the latest date i can put down on my letter? (can it be my EDD?) Have called my LEA but they didn't seem to be able to answer any questions and i can't find a clear answer from the advice my union produces.

So am hoping someone on here can help?
    Best wishes

Soulsista xx

2. Hi everyone

Am currently 23 weeks pregnant and am trying to sort out my maternity leave. From what I've read so far i know i have to give notice to go on maternity leave 15 weeks (at least!) before i intend to take it. However from working out dates etc i will not have my MAT form by the time i need to submit my letter. Is this likely to be a problem? Also I am trying to leave it as late as possible for my leave to start - does anyone know of the latest date i can put down on my letter? (can it be my EDD?) Have called my LEA but they didn't seem to be able to answer any questions and i can't find a clear answer from the advice my union produces.

So am hoping someone on here can help?
    Best wishes

Soulsista xx

3. sabby81

sabby81 New commenter

Hi soulsista-I didn't have my matb1 form by them either but I wrote a letter to my head putting my edd as my date of maternity leave. I also said i'd hand in the form in as soon as I had it. I also put into the letter that though I had every intention of working until my edd, I may have to request to leave sooner if I was unable to work that long. As it happened the doc signed me off at 35+2 anyway so I left then - and am so glad I did!!!! Finding it hard to cope these last few weeks-can hardly walk at all!

4. Thanks ever so much for your reply-that's really helpful. Best wishes for the arrival of your little one!

Soulsista xx

5. Same as the last poster. I put my EDD as the start of my leave and sent in the MAT form when my midwife fially gave it to me.

6. That's all very helpful thankyou! I'll put the day to start mat leave as date baby due, but will ring HR again, if they're saying outdated information like starting mat leave on a sunday I want to make sure they're calculating it correctly!
    Thanks everyone!

7. FollyFairy

FollyFairy Occasional commenter

I have requested my ML starts on a Monday - no-one has questioned or queried this! I am not losing a day's pay!! You can start your ML whenever you wish - especially as if your baby comes early, then your ML starts automatically... if you have worked say till thurs and baby comes on Friday, it would start on Fri not Sunday! I don't think your ML can start AFTER your due date though if your baby is late... but not sure...

8. I started my mat leave on a monday. (the day after I had LO - he was 4 weeks prem) I wrote my letter to Head and Governors without the form because school wanted it before the 6 weeks holidays and I didn't get the form until the middle of the hols. Good luck
    x

9. Hi Soulsista
    Does this make your EDD at the beginning of the summer holidays? If that is the case, I would definitely put the ML start date as the EDD. IF you find you're struggling during the last couple weeks of the term, then you can be signed off and start ML then.
    I'm having my last working day on a Friday and the 1st day of ML starts on the Monday, This has not been questioned and I had confirmation from my LEA yesterday. I'm currently 36wks.
    Also with regards to the MATB1 form. You can't get it til you're at least 25wks anyway so you'll probably get it from your midwife at your 26wk appt. For both of my pregnancies I have filled in the inital form for school declaring my pregnancy, planned MLdate (and return date, exactly 9months later for me) and have then sent on the MATB1 form later on, when I received it.
    Hope that helps. Good Luck.
    Pogo x

10. Soulsista, I'm due about the same time as you and have put my due date as my maternity leave start date. As pogo says, if you need to finish sooner, you can do.

11. Hi everyone!

Haven't looked on here for a bit-making the most of Easter Hols while I can!

Thanks ever so much for all your replies. My EDD is August 1st so I am going to request that my ML starts from then.

Best wishes

Soulsista xx