1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Please help, Jury service and pay

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by katycustard, Feb 15, 2011.

1. katycustard

katycustard New commenter

<font size="3">I'm wondering if any of you experienced Heads know what happens when a member of staff is on Jury Service. I assumed my TA would get her normal pay, but the Bursar says she won&rsquo;t because she will get paid for doing Jury Service. I didn&rsquo;t think Jury service covered your full wages and I don&rsquo;t want the TA to be out of pocket. Can you tell me what usually happens please?</font><font size="3">I am a new Acting Head and my school doesn&rsquo;t seem to have a policy on staff leave. A teacher has been off for the last two days with a sick child and I don&rsquo;t know if she should get her usual pay or not. Unless this is covered by employment law, I thought we ought to have an in-house policy covering situations like this. Again, any advice will be gratefully received. </font> Thanks

2. katycustard

I don't know why the text is so big, sorry! Also the paragraphs have gone.

3. QFE

QFE

Hi KC,
    They way I did it when as a teacher I had to do jury service, was to just claim travel and draw pay as usual. County queried it, but I simply had to produce the appropriate docs to confirm that. (BTW - the whole JS experience was a pain in the butt... very dirsuptive)
    You have to be paid by your employer for doing JS. As I understood it at the time, the expenses for lost earnings were really for those self employed or paid on a 'piece' or pro-rata basis.

4. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

No, you do not. If it is not covered by your contract, you do not have to be paid for JS by your employer. Check the contract of the TA.
    The maximum daily rate you can claim back from the Court is &pound;64.95 in the first ten days (if you lose more than 4 hours pay per day, for less than 4 hours it is &pound;32.47). After that it rises to &pound;129.91 if you lose more than 4 horus, for less than 4 hours it rises to &pound;64.95.
    Your TA can also claim travel expenses/food costs etc.
    Advise them to check their home insurance policy as this sometimes has a provision for lost pay for jury service.

5. katycustard

Thanks QFE and Crowbob. I did find our LA online personnel policy and that wasn't very clear at all. It seemed to say you could claim the daily rate from Court and that would be deducted from your normal salary. It just wasn't that clear though! I don't want her to be out of pocket because of doing Jury service.
    This is one of those unknown unknowns, I am finding out quite a lot of unknowns as a new Head!