1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Please help - Interview Lesson Circle Theorems

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by Felix81, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Hi,

I have to give a 35 min introductory lesson on circle theorems to a class of year 9 students, does anyone have any ideas on how best to tackle this please??

Any help much appreciated.

2. Hi,

I have to give a 35 min introductory lesson on circle theorems to a class of year 9 students, does anyone have any ideas on how best to tackle this please??

Any help much appreciated.

3. bigkid

bigkid New commenter

I would use cabri, GSP or geogebra

4. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Is it really that difficult to open a textbook, look at the introduction to circle theorems and adapt it to your needs?
    How difficult can it be to plan a 35 minute lesson?

5. To be fair I think for an interview lesson you may want to go beyond just looking at a textbook. I am sure that Felix81 has thought of that as well.
    Maybe the pupils could find some out for themselves using compassess, rulers and protractors, certainly angles in a semi circle, subtended from the same chord and angles at the centre compared to at the edge. Maybe different groups could be given one to investiage and feed back to rest of the group.

6. Karvol

Did you miss the bit about adapting it to your needs?
    Others differ, but I feel it is pretty pathetic that an interviewee cannot plan a 35 minute lesson.
    Frankly, if you cannot plan one 35 minute lesson when given weeks to do it, how on earth are you going to plan 35 or so of them week in, week out?

7. Here here Karvol!

8. No I didn't miss it, I totally understood what you meant and I didn't mean to dismiss it as looking at printed resources is always a good start. I just thought that this forum was for support, advice and ideas from other, maybe more experienced, Maths teachers. The OP just wanted advice for an interview lesson which of course is a bit different to just planning lessons day in day out. I don't think it was deserving of the criticism.

9. Karvol

It is, most definitely, and you are completely correct in expecting this.
    However I believe that support is meant to develop teaching and to enhance it. It is not meant to replace the creative process itself. If the OP had presented some ideas, no matter how weak, then it would form a basis for discussion and support. As it is, the OP is offering nothing.

10. frustum

frustum Star commenter

11. I always give them a load of blank circles (with the centres marked on) and ask them to draw on whatever they need to discover each circle theorem for themselves. In a 50 min lesson I would cover maybe 2 or 3 of the theorems including practising using them as well as the ones learnt in previous lessons. A text book will give you a good idea about how to split the theorems into manageable groups, and they often have some nice puzzly questions at the end of the chapter which make nice plenaries or lesson starters for the next lesson.
    I hope the interview goes well however you decide to approach the topic. I also hope some of the dreadfully rude comments you have recieved here doesn't put you off the mathematics forum where I have been given (and contributed I hope) some great advice and ideas over the last couple of years.

12. hear hear! Sophia

13. Karvol

What absolute santimonious rubbish.
    Would either of you seriously contemplate employing a new member of staff who could not plan their own lesson for the interview?
    This is not someone in their first few months of the PGCE asking for help. This is someone going for an interview for a job who is having trouble planning a basic lesson. If this does not worry you then it may explain the state of mathematics education in the English schooling system.

14. Talk about sanctimonious.
    I would rather employ someone who is willing to share and discuss ideas and ask for advice than someone who demoralises others. I don't think the op is having trouble planning a basic lesson, he is just getting some advice for an interview lesson. I think it is a good idea to ask advice off others, every teacher can develop their teaching from getting ideas from others, else why does this forum exist. Even after teaching Maths for 11 years I am always willing to ask for advice on lessons from others and yet I am quite competent at planning my own.
    This isn't meant to be an argument. We are all on the same side of enhancing and developing Maths teaching, why is there so much negativity?

15. briceanus

briceanus New commenter

..because it was GCSE results day today ? !!! maybe.

16. Maybe?!!!
    We should all support each other though!

17. Karvol

Nah, my school does not sit any external exams until the students are 18. It doesn't see the need for GCSEs ( we are, clearly, not based in the UK! ).
    I am not particularly that negative ( although it may come across that way in this post ). I just find it somewhat shocking that a potential interview would ask for lesson ideas without even bothering to offer some of their own.
    Perhaps I have spent too long teaching in schools that do not employ NQTs...

18. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

I wouldn't say the comments were dreadfully rude (possibly only moderately rude [​IMG]). I read more than post in this forum but it is fairly traditional for people who ask for interview advice without offering ANY of their own ideas to get a bit of stick from the regulars.

19. I couldn't agree more. Interviewees should be given as much opportunity as possible to display what they can do. My 4 candidates on Thursday were given the "topic" of Functional Maths, with one being asked to base it around money,and the others on measuring, time and timetables, and data analysis. They were told what level the class were working at and then given free rein. I saw some excellent. lessons and, most importantly, had the chance to see how candidates introduced lessons, questioned and interacted with students. Just saying, Circle Theorems, seems to show a lack of imagination. Having said that, I agree with another poster that I do not expect to see applicants for jobs asking for ideas on this forum without at least giving their own ideas - something which we tend to see at this time of year, each year. Come on, NQTs, start using your imagination. I'd rather see a lesson not quite work out but the interviewee take a risk, than see a "safe" lesson.

20. Karvol

We tend to give interviewees a choice as to what they would like to teach. They can either continue on from whereever the interview class is at that particular moment in time or they can choose a one off topic if they wish.
    Most tend to opt for the continuation lesson.
    For some reasons potential interviewees on this forum seem to think that observers are looking for whizz bang lessons. We are not. The things that are important are those things that make lessons good day in, day out: interaction with students, content of the lesson, does it flow, is the teacher aware of difficulties that students may face, does he or she give answers to questions all the time or do they give just enough to enable to the students to carry on on their own, are they aware of the dynamics in the classroom, do they have control of what is going on, is the lesson appropriate for the needs of the students and if it is not, do they adapt it to the students or do they carry on regardless?
    The list can go on and on, but the basics of good teaching always trump flashy lessons that ultimately have no content.