1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Please help - im lacking inspiration!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by ineedsomehelp, Feb 6, 2011.

1. We are doing a topic in Nursery on Sound & music.

We have made instruments, sounds in the school grounds, sound walks, chinese new year, music etc
    we were going to go on a visit to a farm so had work planned from this focusing on snimal sounds but we cant go anymore and im just blank.....
    im trying to be careful as we have the animal unit coming up later this year so i dont want to do too much animals and my group have very short attention span so any fun ideas gratefully rec'd!

2. We are doing a topic in Nursery on Sound & music.

We have made instruments, sounds in the school grounds, sound walks, chinese new year, music etc
    we were going to go on a visit to a farm so had work planned from this focusing on snimal sounds but we cant go anymore and im just blank.....
    im trying to be careful as we have the animal unit coming up later this year so i dont want to do too much animals and my group have very short attention span so any fun ideas gratefully rec'd!

3. From a songs and rhymes aspect, there's a whole section in this resource:
    http://www.musicforschoolsltd.co.uk/eyfs.html
    which links in with environmental sounds, as well as Phase 1 Letters and Sounds.
    Also explores instrumental sounds, body percussion sounds and voice sounds
    through songs. Great resource which I've recommended to other nurseries for
    ages.

4. And a few more thoughts on exploring sounds and 'sound discrimination' generally. The musical vocabulary we use with children is really important from a 'musical elements' point of view. This links in with their experiences in the years to follow (through the National Curriculum). For example:
    These notes come from my training sessions with EYFS teachers:

When children explore instruments and sounds around them, ask them…

(Timbre) What is it made of? What does it sound like? Why do you like it?
    (Duration) Is the sound a short sound? Does it last a long time? Can you still hear it?
    (Pitch) Is it high in the sky? Is it low down in your boots? Can you sing that sound?
    (Dynamics) Is it loud or quiet? How loudly/quietly can you do it? Can you sing that sound?
    (Tempo) Is it fast or slow? Can you run/walk to it? Can you make it faster/slower?
    (Texture) How many instruments/sounds can you hear? What sounds go well together?
    When children sing together or play instruments together, ask them…

(Timbre) Can I hear the wooden instruments? (then metal/skin/plastic)
    (Duration) Let’s pretend to tap in the nails! Let’s pretend to play giant’s footsteps!
    (Pitch) Let’s sing like squeaky mice! Let’s sing like elephants!
    (Dynamics) Can we all do it loudly/quietly? Can we get louder & louder (quieter & quieter)?
    (Tempo) Let’s play running music! Let’s play walking music! Let’s get faster/slower!
    (Texture) Let’s play one after the other! Let’s all play together! Can the girls/boys play?

When children listen to and think about sounds/music, ask them…

(Timbre) What instruments can you hear?
    (Duration) Does it sound busy? Can you run to the music? Does it make you feel sleepy?
    (Pitch) Is it high in the sky? Is it low down on the ground?
    (Dynamics) Is it loud or quiet? Did it get louder/quieter?
    (Tempo) Can you clap along to the music? Is it slow or fast music?
    (Texture) How many different instruments/sounds can you hear?

Always use and encourage children to use/remember musical vocabulary, i.e.

Long / Short High / Low Loud / Quiet (not soft!) Fast / Slow

All of these can come into / relate to your 'exploring sounds' work - in any environment,
    not just animals, or using instruments in Nursery.

Geraldine