1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Please help..ideas for end of term (last 3 days)

Discussion in 'Primary' started by KylerS, Jul 14, 2015.

1. Hi All,

I'm an NQT finishing my second term next week. I have a class that challenge me (there are 32 and no adult support in afternoons) and at the moment they are not getting on very well with class mates.

I'd like to plan some nice end of term activities, but it is worrying me. Their behaviour (which I know is worse due to tiredness and the fact that they know I'm leaving) puts me off doing nice things. Lots of my ideas involve working in groups. Even when they choose and get to work with friends I end up dealing with issues. The way they speak to each other, get involved in others' business (sometimes across the classroom!) and the general lack of respect towards others (including me) is getting me down....

Without ranting too much, being tired I feel I'm struggling with inspiration. I know I can't keep everyone happy.We will watch a DVD definitely, although even that causes problems!

If anyone has been in a similar situation (or even not!) and can share any ideas that would be great.

Thanks and I hope everyone enjoys the last few days and the holidays!

2. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

We are making board games to link in with our literacy. They are designing the board (D&T), writing the rules (Literacy), making the dice using a net (Maths) and might do a bit of persuasive writing getting them to advertise them depending on time (I have next week too - boo).

3. whizzbangbang

whizzbangbang New commenter

If you search '300 generic activities' in the TES forum, you will find my file. I am confident that this will help you. Thanks.

4. Hi,

Congratulations on completing two terms!

I remember at the end of my NQT year it was all I could do to make it through the days I was so tired so I know where you are coming from.

What year do you teach? My class this year are challenging and they struggle (with similar behaviour as you state above) as soon as our routine changes slightly so I'm keeping going with lessons-phonics, English, Maths and then foundation in the afternoon, albeit a little less formally. So for example, in English, we are creating memory books of our year, with each lesson given over to one page of the book. In maths, we have played games using the computers and ICT games (a super website, particularly for younger year groups).

In my experience, watching a film can cause problems! I get around this by having all children sat on the floor with about 10 chairs out. I select children sitting nicely and enjoying the film to sit on the chairs at various points during the film. Popcorn is also a great incentive and a cheap end of year treat!

Try to enjoy your last couple of days and feel happy in the knowledge that I have another full week to go...

Good luck!

5. McCahey

McCahey New commenter

Similar class. Mine have made end of year lap books, reviewing the year. Lots of bits to cut, stick, colour and write. Keeps them busy. Don't mind chatting and takes a while. You can google these various are free/ very cheap to download.

6. onmyknees

onmyknees Established commenter

There are loads of end of term ideas on the resources section of this site.

7. Hi everyone

Thanks for the helpful replies.

I have decided on a mixture of games, including PE outside too.

I might try something like a review of the year next year.

8. ShadowMan

ShadowMan New commenter

I prefer to watch short cartoons of about 5 mins each. Loads on youtube. Some get bored for an entire film. But 2 or 3 cartoons plus some games plus the promise of more cartoons later often does the trick.

Bribe with pop corn if necessary.