1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Please help. I think I'm going to lose my job.

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Frightenedtodeath, Oct 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frightenedtodeath

Frightenedtodeath New commenter

Deputy head in post for 2.5 years. Academy chain is having serious issues and many schools did not hit floor (we were one of them). Our place is unrecognisable, we no longer physically chase smoking students around the site, physical violence is now rare, the corridors are now under control and the real development work is beginning.

When the chain took over some years ago, they chose not to shift any of the SLT out, but now, under pressure from the DFE, I feel that heads may roll. I have had very positive performance reviews and several documents which outline my good work and yet I am being told (by the Head) that we are unlikely to remain in position from September onwards. We are all afraid, sick and trying our best to fight on. The school is a stable place and we were told by one HMI that this was a five year job. It now seems as if we won't get to see it out. Our latest report (RI) outlines many positive changes that have been brought about but the results aren't following quickly enough.

I am a good practitioner and leader, I've done good work here. How can I stop this from happening? A fellow member of SLT has already been offered an 'out' (or else), this person has been on the SLT for many, many years. This all feels like a terrible bad dream. Would I be better off offering to go back to a teaching position (school is finding it difficult to recruit)? It's the uncertainty that I can't bear, not the final outcome.

It's a tough school but it is a world away from where it was three years ago. Unrecognisable.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Double post

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.