1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

please help - how do you assess music?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by ceri2evans, Jun 26, 2008.

1. if you are music co-ordiantor, how do you assess progress in music?

2. if you are music co-ordiantor, how do you assess progress in music?

3. Assessment is an ongoing, continual thing in music. I don't do formal assessment activities. I keep class lists with skills / objectives for the end of unit at the top of the page and give green / yellow / red colours for how they have done. If I notice a child can do something, I colour it in. If you use Music Express, there are assessment sheets available but I make my own on Excel and try to assess skills based activities, which is more quantifiable. I also do a lot of self-assessment activities where children evaluate their own work. I don't give levels for music.

4. I assess using skills. I have created a system that works well in my school which shows pupils and teachers what they need to do to attain each level. Pupils working at different levels can easily be assessed as there is clear progression through the skills. It is loosely linked to NC and it shows the level at the top of each column. It is also linked to AB and music medal exams so that pupils who learn instruments can have their skills recognised.

We were inspected recently and the inspector took it away to use in her school!

We do teach class recorders so some is based on recorder teaching but it could easily be adapted to reflect the skills you expect them to master in each unit.

https://www.tes.co.uk/resources/Resource.aspx?resourceId=7...

5. Hello,
    I am a postgraduate student doing my masters in Music Education. For my dissertation I am looking at assessment in the primary school and I am interviewing primary school teachers that teach music. I would really appreciate it if you have the time to take part in my research, it would be of a great help! The interview will be informal and the questions will be based on your assessment practice and will approximate last 30 minutes. This could be done upon meeting (if it's convinient, I'm based in South West London) or via telephone, email or skype.
    Please let me know if you have the time to contribute to my research!
    If you have any questions please contact me at: askouroupathi@gmail.com
    Thank you,

Atalanti