1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Please help!! Head teacher covering my class.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by hippo66sj, Mar 16, 2011.

1. I would really appreciate any advise!

I have a year 1 class. The head teacher is a lovely lady and I get on with her reasonably well, but when she covers my class she picks fault in everything from equipment not in the correct draws (even though the kids put things away) to children not being challenged enough. My main concern is that she promotes a creative curriculum with emphasis on children initiating their own learning. We (my year partner and I) plan starting activities and then the children develop their learning from there, once they've finished the activity they can 'choose' another activity related to the topic. However when the head covers my class she always complains that the children don't focus on their given activity for long enough and the children ask her if they can choose meaning she cannot work with her group. The children don't do this to me, although I know they push their luck with other cover teachers. The main problem is I don't know what to say to the head when she queries this, in the past I've asked her for suggestions but all she's suggested is written instructions but as the kids aren't the best readers I can't see this working. My year partner just tells me to carry on regardless as the head is 'a bit out of touch' and that the heads suggestions are impractical.

I'm really worried about what to say to the head and dread the days that she covers my class. I know my class are making good progress, and a lot of parents have said that their children have been complaining that they have been doing 'too much work', so clearly the kids don't think their choosing enough!

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

2. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

It sounds like the HT is covering your class a lot. Is this for your PPA time? If so, the HT should really be planning and marking any lessons they teach.
    If it is just covering every now and then, I wouldn't worry too much. Do you have a phase leader or a member of SLT you can talk to and
    explain the situation? It might be they can speak to the Head or give
    you some advice to deal with it.

3. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

When you say 'draw', do you mean 'drawer'?
    When you say 'their', do you mean 'they're'?

4. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

advise = advice?

5. greta444

greta444 New commenter

I too found the lack of structure described in the original post a little worrying. Plus the many spelling mistakes.

6. takethatno1fan

takethatno1fan New commenter

I think the OP was asking for some professional advice not a critique of her spelling!

7. I sympathise OP - I've been in this situation before, and I found myself just agreeing with him when he criticised my setup, but went back to doing it most of the time.
    As an aside, I have a mixed yr1/EYFS class, and I was wondering if any of you had any advice about how to make my yr 1 activities more formal, whilst keeping the reception curriculum fairly free?