1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Please help... had enough!

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by motherofflamingcrows, Jan 11, 2012.

1. motherofflamingcrows

motherofflamingcrows New commenter

Hi all,
    I am a struggling Maths NQT at a school where all the staff are practically willing OFSTED to arrive soon so as to get rid of the head whose management skills really need to be better than 'I'll think about that and get back to you'. As a result of the local authority putting our school in the 'at risk' category, SLT have started dropping in on a very regular basis.
    I am currently off sick with an ear infection, but I received an email today regarding a general studies lesson that an SLT member had witnessed, and is asking me to come meet her when I'm back. General studies in my school hardly has any resources so I have been pretty much making it up as I go along. This lesson she witnessed, we were watching Gandhi the movie, and talking about his ethics and morals compared to others in the movie.
    I just feel that right now I am constantly being judged, and its driving me insane. My doctor doubled my antidepressants last month as I was struggling so much.
    Is there a way out or a way past this?

2. motherofflamingcrows

motherofflamingcrows New commenter

Hi all,
    I am a struggling Maths NQT at a school where all the staff are practically willing OFSTED to arrive soon so as to get rid of the head whose management skills really need to be better than 'I'll think about that and get back to you'. As a result of the local authority putting our school in the 'at risk' category, SLT have started dropping in on a very regular basis.
    I am currently off sick with an ear infection, but I received an email today regarding a general studies lesson that an SLT member had witnessed, and is asking me to come meet her when I'm back. General studies in my school hardly has any resources so I have been pretty much making it up as I go along. This lesson she witnessed, we were watching Gandhi the movie, and talking about his ethics and morals compared to others in the movie.
    I just feel that right now I am constantly being judged, and its driving me insane. My doctor doubled my antidepressants last month as I was struggling so much.
    Is there a way out or a way past this?

3. Georgia99

Georgia99 New commenter

Your school does sound appalling to me. Why don't you start applying for Maths jobs with Easter starts? If you gain one by the end of February then you can hand in your notice.
    I am assuming it is just the school? Obviously if it is the teaching side then you might question if you have made the right career choice. On the brightside I have read lots of posts by NQTs who hated their first year but are much happy now they are in their second year of teaching. I have also read posts where people have changed schools and become happy.
    In my opinion, no job is worth getting stressed/depressed over. Obviously financial considerations are normally the priority so you need to make sure you have another job to go to as even non teaching jobs are hard to get in the current climate.

4. In addition to the advice above, talk to your mentor and HOD. Get them to back you up. Talk also to your union rep in the school?

5. Hi Suja,

I am also an NQT and was finding my first term very difficult. I was given a few unsatisfactory's, I wasn't sure who I could trust in the school and a lot of other things. There were times where I felt like crying in the middle of a lesson.

I don't want this to sound "airy fairy" but the only way out of this is for you to look within. Is teaching what you really want to do? Why do you want to be a teacher? Are there issues that you have buried that are now coming to the fore? You need to get off the antidepressants, they only help superficially.

I have changed hugely as a person in the past month and as a result my experience at school has gotten better.

6. maninhisprimary

maninhisprimary New commenter

I am a mature NQT feeling the same but it is made worse by the fact that I am at a very 'easy' school, teaching in Year 2.
    I rarely get observed and no-one asks to see lesson plans (our weekly plans are handed in and there are regular assessments)- what I am doing is based on how the children are progressing. The behaviour is pretty good despite my lack of discipline, all but 2 of the children are above average and all the parents are supportive and send everything in on time etc.
    It's a nice looking school and everyone is friendly and helpful.
    Despite this, I am up late every night, struggling to come up with the simplest things, and then lie awake thinking about it. When I drop off, I dream about school. I get to school at 7.30, work til 5.30 and still don't have the things done that I need for the next day. I just CANNOT organise myself to prepare, consequently, I am always stressed and grumpy and by Sunday morning, already dreading the week ahead. (Im on NQT time now - why am I writing this!!!) Once there, I can get by but the feeling of NEVER being able to shake of school is really affecting my family. My blood pressure is high now too. I can't help feeling that I would be murdered by my wife etc for even thinking of giving up after 7 years of poverty getting this far but, as I need to get a new job in the summer, one which will financially have to be in Inner London, I cannot believe I will have an 'easier time' and I hate every minute of my life at the moment.
    Sorry for ranting but wanted you to know you're not alone unfortunately! Good luck!

7. I thought I was the only NQT getting to school ridiculously early and staying until 6pm. I understand about the family pressure, I have already told my parents that I will be leaving this school after my last term is over but they don't believe me and once I do, they will kill me esp as I'm nearing 28 and have jumped from job to job!

Why do we all put our jobs first before our own happiness? You've said you have got high blood pressure, what is the point of being financially secure when your health is being sacrificed? I'm not saying that one shouldn't have a job, but there are ways to be financially secure, a 9 to 5 job isn't the only way.

I'm sorry, I hope this doesn't come across as patronizing, I don't mean to be at all, I just also wanted you to know that I was in the exact same position when I started in Sept and felt the same. I'm also at risk of failing my NQT year (I have been told many times) but when one door closes, another one opens.

You have to believe that it will get better.

8. Hiya suja,
    I am also an NQT and struggling big time! The advice I get on here from other people who are really busy yet take the time to offer and advice and support is what keeps me going. We have to stick together and support each other. I am also off ill which really doen't help because the guilt factor kicks in. If you are ill, it is very hard to keep on top of a class no matter how hard you try and if you soldier on you end up being more ill and being off for longer.
    You are making your own resources and in effect writing a scheme of work for GeneralSstudies so well done! Give yourself a pat on the back!
    Try not to be so hard on yourself, you passed your PGCE so you obviously can teach, and I take my hat off to you because you teach Maths - not my subject of choice at all.!
    Try and take one step at a time, we are here if you need to scream and shout, I am not on tablets but I don't drink either - if I did I think I would be an alcoholic by now!
    You CAN do this!
    Jaime[​IMG]

9. Just a thought, you said that your main subject is Maths, and you're teaching a General Studies class without any provided resources and, it would seem, any real guidance as to WHAT to teach. Could it be that they are expecting you to teach them maths? When I sat my GS A-Level (was a compulsory 4th or 5th A-Level at my school ... going back a few years!) I remember there being a maths section, and any pupils who needed it were given extra maths tuition.