1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Please help! Getting a fixed term contract renewed.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by MrsABurton, May 5, 2012.

1. Can anyone help with this, or has anyone experienced anything similar - I'm currently in my second term of NQT induction having started a post to cover maternity leave in January. The contract states it will end on 29th June, 3 weeks before the end of term. When I had the interview I asked if it would be possible to be kept on until the end of term, even if as a volunteer in order to complete my second term of induction. I was told that they would sort it out. A few weeks ago my mentor confirmed that the teacher on maternity leave would not be coming back earlier than 1st July, but that even when she returned I would be staying with the class until the end of term, paid.
    I've just been away on PGL and returned home last night to find a strategically timed letter from the head advising me my contract will end on 29th June. There are 3 further teachers going on maternity leave soon, but they clearly don't want me to stay at the school. Could they renew my contract to cover one of the other maternity leaves, even though the original teacher I'm covering is returning?
    I passed my first term successfully with no areas of concern so can't understand why they have not asked me to stay on. It is the first time my mentor has taken on the role and she is not very supportive - she has actually been quite offensive on 2 or 3 occasions so I'm wondering if she is influencing the head's decision unfairly.
    Hope someone can help [​IMG]

2. Can anyone help with this, or has anyone experienced anything similar - I'm currently in my second term of NQT induction having started a post to cover maternity leave in January. The contract states it will end on 29th June, 3 weeks before the end of term. When I had the interview I asked if it would be possible to be kept on until the end of term, even if as a volunteer in order to complete my second term of induction. I was told that they would sort it out. A few weeks ago my mentor confirmed that the teacher on maternity leave would not be coming back earlier than 1st July, but that even when she returned I would be staying with the class until the end of term, paid.
    I've just been away on PGL and returned home last night to find a strategically timed letter from the head advising me my contract will end on 29th June. There are 3 further teachers going on maternity leave soon, but they clearly don't want me to stay at the school. Could they renew my contract to cover one of the other maternity leaves, even though the original teacher I'm covering is returning?
    I passed my first term successfully with no areas of concern so can't understand why they have not asked me to stay on. It is the first time my mentor has taken on the role and she is not very supportive - she has actually been quite offensive on 2 or 3 occasions so I'm wondering if she is influencing the head's decision unfairly.
    Hope someone can help [​IMG]