1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Please help final weeks of PGCE yr 10 are running rings round me

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by lucie19, May 15, 2012.

1. lucie19

lucie19 New commenter

I have several classes most of which I manage well in terms of behaviour management. However I have a low ability year 10 class that are running absolute rings round me.
    The class is split 50 50 between those who are suffering from my poor behaviour management and those who are making the most of it.
    I try waiting for silence, moving students, keeping the whole class back. However I am achieving nothing and if anything they are getting worse.
    I overheard them talking in the corridor and they were saying things like we'll do what ever we like.
    Any advice is greatfully recieved.

2. lucie19

lucie19 New commenter

I have several classes most of which I manage well in terms of behaviour management. However I have a low ability year 10 class that are running absolute rings round me.
    The class is split 50 50 between those who are suffering from my poor behaviour management and those who are making the most of it.
    I try waiting for silence, moving students, keeping the whole class back. However I am achieving nothing and if anything they are getting worse.
    I overheard them talking in the corridor and they were saying things like we'll do what ever we like.
    Any advice is greatfully recieved.

3. I've had some success on my student placement with challenging classes by harnessing positive behaviour strategies. I bought a book of raffle tickets from the pound shop and informed the pupils that I would be handing them out for good behaviour and/or good work. At the beginning of each lesson I specify the particular behaviour I am trying to address (shouting out, leaving seat`s without permission, etc) and at the end of the lesson I hand out raffle tickets to those pupils who have succeeded. Some pupils get one ticket, some get a few, but it's important that by the end of the week every pupil has at least one.

At the end of the week I have a raffle draw and hand out small prizes, like kit kats, to the pupils holding the winning tickets. The behaviour quickly improved when pupils realised that by disobeying my instructions they were doing themselves out of the chance of getting a prize. I've only been running the scheme for a few weeks but have noticed significant improvements from particular pupils.

4. Don't keep the whole class behind as this gives power to the disruptive pupils. Let the good pupils go on time. Set detentions for those who misbehave and follow up if not attended. Ring home, explain the situation and how you will deal with it and ask for support.

I would have a large chart on the noticeboard that outlines your expectations and what will happen if they are met or not met.

Give praise to the good students.

Keep calm and show no emotion when dealing with the disruptive students.

Do wait for silence but make it clear what sanction will be applied if you don't get silence.

A few years ago I had a horrendous Y10 class, really awful. I battled it out for months and stood my ground. Towards the end of Y10 and throughout Y11 they became accustomed to my way of working.

You know what you want and stand firm until you get it.