1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Please help clear up Normal and t distributions for me

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by ian60, Apr 9, 2012.

1. ian60

ian60 New commenter

I understand entirely that unbiased estimators of population variance are not normally distributed.
    And so they have their own distribution, namely the t-distribution.
    So far so good.
    Now, by the CLT, shouldn't the t-distribution approach normality? So, for a sufficiently large sample size (and consequently 'degrees of freedom') we shouldn't have to consider t at all.
    If I am right in my thinking so far, how large a sample needs to be taken in order to think that the sample variances will be Normally distributed and the t-distribution becomes irrelevant?
    My current text book is not clear. I want to be able to say something along the lines of "Well, the sample size is >50, so let's just use the normal distribution"
    Thank you if you have ploughed through that, and thank you again if you can put me right.

2. ian60

ian60 New commenter

I was too slow to edit the first paragraph.
    I understand that sample means are not normally distributed if a population SD is estimated.

3. What do you call a Tea Party with more than 30 people?
    A Z Party.

4. ian60

ian60 New commenter

Bless you charlie. I am guessing you have answered my question, albeit in a quaintly cryptic manner

5. If the population is normal then the sample means are always normal even if the SD is unkown. Otherwise a sample of > 30 is standard to use the normal approximation.

6. "If the population is normal then the sample means are always normal even
    if the SD is unkown. Otherwise a sample of > 30 is standard to use
    the normal approximation."

No. If the population is normal with UNKNOWN variance, then the sample mean is technically a t-distribution. If the population is normal with KNOWN variance then the sample mean is always normaly distributed.

7. Students of OCR S2
    <font size="3" face="Times New Roman">' Sould be able to; use the fact that ( the sample mean of <font size="3" face="Times New Roman">X ) </font><font size="3" face="Times New Roman">has a normal distribution if </font><font size="3" face="Times New Roman">X </font><font size="3" face="Times New Roman">has a normal distribution;'</font>
    </font>

8. For students of OCR S3

Candidates should be able to:

use a t distribution, with the appropriate number of degrees of freedom, in the context of a small
    sample drawn from a normal population of unknown variance

9. ian60

ian60 New commenter

Thanks to all of you who replied.
    I have decided that my uncertainty was compounded by a couple of badly worded examples in the text book I am using.