1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Please help - Carol Ann Duffy

Discussion in 'English' started by Honeydew, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Honeydew

Honeydew New commenter

Hope you kind souls can please advise me. I am very desperate! I am teaching Carol Ann Duffy's poems (OCR).
    I studied some of her poems during my degree and loved her work. BUT of the 15 poems I have to teach to my year 11s, 7 are very new to me! I have browsed the internet/TES and tried to find commentaries on these poems but with no success.
    I have analysed the poems myself but I'm not sure if I've interpreted them correctly. I understand that poems are about the reader's interpretation but I'm worried my understanding may be way off. My other two colleagues cover different poets with their groups (we do different poets depending on the groups we get - this is fine with me, because the other poets wouldn't be suitable for my groups) I asked them to look at my commentaries. My colleagues said my notes/understanding seemed OK but I got the feeling they didn't really look at my notes! The poems are as follows:
    Answer
    Dream of a Lost Friend
    In your Mind
    Mrs Lazarus
    Nostalgia
    Who Loves You
    Wintering
    Can someone please advise me? Is there anyone out there who has handouts/commentaries on these poems they are willing to share? I have been on Amazon and Waterstones and tried to find books on her poems, but they all seem to cover the same poems - and none of the above! York Notes was no help.
    Is it OK for me to teach MY own understanding of the poem? Any advice, and offers of help? Thank you.

2. Honeydew

Honeydew New commenter

Hope you kind souls can please advise me. I am very desperate! I am teaching Carol Ann Duffy's poems (OCR).
    I studied some of her poems during my degree and loved her work. BUT of the 15 poems I have to teach to my year 11s, 7 are very new to me! I have browsed the internet/TES and tried to find commentaries on these poems but with no success.
    I have analysed the poems myself but I'm not sure if I've interpreted them correctly. I understand that poems are about the reader's interpretation but I'm worried my understanding may be way off. My other two colleagues cover different poets with their groups (we do different poets depending on the groups we get - this is fine with me, because the other poets wouldn't be suitable for my groups) I asked them to look at my commentaries. My colleagues said my notes/understanding seemed OK but I got the feeling they didn't really look at my notes! The poems are as follows:
    Answer
    Dream of a Lost Friend
    In your Mind
    Mrs Lazarus
    Nostalgia
    Who Loves You
    Wintering
    Can someone please advise me? Is there anyone out there who has handouts/commentaries on these poems they are willing to share? I have been on Amazon and Waterstones and tried to find books on her poems, but they all seem to cover the same poems - and none of the above! York Notes was no help.
    Is it OK for me to teach MY own understanding of the poem? Any advice, and offers of help? Thank you.

3. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

I would read the poem or get a volunteer to read it to the class. Then ask for ideas about what it might be about, what it makes them think, which lines or phrases they like. Then I go through from the beginning asking them to think about where something moves on, changes point of view etc. In other words, I always ask for their interpretations but obviously guide them if there are misunderstandings. Same with annotations - I would expect GCSE classes to be making most of the suggestions with me filling in the gaps.

I don't know the poems but I don't think you need to worry about finding commentaries so long as you ensure you cover the poems in ways that allow students to respond to ideas and comment on structure and language.

4. Have you looked at the Teachit Resources? I think there might be something on Carol Ann Duffy on there. Maybe under KS5, but could be adapted?

5. Honeydew

Honeydew New commenter

Hi GloriaSunshine and Ellisb - thanks for your ideas. Really appreciate it. Your posts are reassuring.

6. ceehorse

ceehorse New commenter

You could also go onto the exam website and see if there are any example answers to questions on your poems.

7. I have put together some very detailed ppts with commentary and questions on the poems which I would be happy to share - we are all in the same boat!
    Reply with your email and I will post them on to you.
    D.

8. Honeydew

Honeydew New commenter

Thanks Ceehorse - I've looked at past mark schemes, but these haven't been covered :-(
    Thanks Isobel - I'd be soo grateful for the commentary and questions. You're a life saver!! And of course, I'd be happy to share my resources too - my email is missspell@hotmail.co.uk

9. Missspell and Chalie's Angel I have emailed you the ppts on Duffy. Please confirm they have reached you and if they are useful!
    Thanks,
    Duncan

10. Could I please have some too?

allgubbins@gmail.com

Happy to provide Shakespeare Lit analysis in return

11. Hi anarchy, apologies for the delay, I think I sent them to wrong email earlier in the week. I have tried again. Please let me know when you have them. I hope they are useful.
    Duncan

12. And the Shakespeare analysis would be appreciated.
    cheers,
    Duncan

13. I forgot to say, yes the Shakespeare analysis would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Duncan

14. Will do. And thanks.

15. hi
    I am doing English for maternity cover and I'v left poems to last because its something I didnt even like doing at GCSE. I just read you'r message and would be soo grateful if you could pass me any notes or ppts you have on Carol Ann Duffy.
    Thankyou soooo much in advance

16. Hi,

If you post your email address I will forward the ppts on to you. Do you have anything useful on Duffy?
    All the best.

17. I would be so grateful for some help with Who Loves You by Carol ann Duffy.My exam is next week and I am baffled.
    My email address is: jackiebrown170@btinternet.com

Kind regards Jackie

18. Hi Jackie,
    I have he emailed the materials. i hope you find them useful!
    Al the bestm,
    Duncan

19. Hi, I am just in the process of putting together resources for Uit A651 for Carol Ann Duffy. I would really appreciate getting a copy if it is possible and I will send the materials I have put together : )
    Thank you so much
    My email is rachaelward310@hotmail.com
    Rach : )

20. I emailed you quite a lot of stuff on Duffy this morning, but not sure if you recieved it. Is you mailbox full?
    Cheers,
    Duncan (isobel789)