1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Please help before I sign the contract.

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by afsheen1239873, May 23, 2019.

1. Henna647398393

Henna647398393 New commenter

I was offered a job in Kuwait yesterday. I am a single, female teacher looking to move there alone. I am also an nqt and the school said they would be able to complete my induction period.

The school is a member of the BSME, CIS and BSO.

I contacted DfE to see if my induction year would be accepted in the UK from the school. DfE have said the school will qualify for an induction period if the inspection from BSME was completed within the last 3 years. The last inspection the school had was from 2015.

The headteacher has responded to my email and said that the observation was completed by PENTA last year but due to admin problems it's not been published. How can I check this is true and it really has been completed as I don't want to take on the job if my NQT induction is not completed?

Tomorrow is my last day to give my verdict on the job as I had my interview yesterday.

Please help. Any advice appreciated.

2. teacher1332

teacher1332 New commenter

Considering it’s May that’s a very long delay.

afsheen1239873 likes this.
  3. Henna647398393

That's exactly what I was thinking surely it is a process that requires almost immediate recognition.

4. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

Are you confident about their reasons for taking an NQT?

5. Henna647398393

I'm not sure i'm new to all this. But they say they plenty of NQT's. But i was given the job offer straight on the spot. The school does seem good but I just can not be so sure without recent approval of the schools inspection.

6. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

whats the worst that could happen? Do you have funds to fly straight back? do you have somewhere to come home to in the UK?

7. Henna647398393

I do have funds but i'm thinking more if I sign the contract and end up in a position I dont want to be in. Do you have an idea of how the termination of a contract works in this case?

8. englishdragon

englishdragon Occasional commenter

9. february31st

february31st Established commenter

Admin Problem = Not paid the fee!

In Kuwait you are stuffed once you arrived in the country. There is a myth of the 90 day opt out claws in the employment law but in real terms its meaningless.

Only real option us wait until Christmas break, fly out and never return.

spanboy likes this.
  10. taiyah

taiyah Occasional commenter

Ask yourself, is the Kuwait the best place to be taking this big of a gamble? Your biggest clue is this,

"......said that the observation was completed by PENTA last year but due to admin problems it's not been published."

The other clue, is it's in Kuwait and you got recruited late May.

Best of luck in what ever you do.

spanboy likes this.
  11. spanboy

spanboy Occasional commenter

1. Offered the job DURING the Skype interview
    2. Received a contract ONE HOUR later
    3. Contract needs to be signed and returned the FOLLOWING DAY
    4. Uncertainty surrounding most recent inspection details

...mmm?

But ultimately, go for it if that's your gut feeling, and either stick it out or jump ship if needed (or even possible due to local formalities etc), though the latter won't look good on a CV (if you include it!) especially at NQT level!

12. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

The school seems to belong to quite a few international organizations that should be some guarantee of quality. Yes, it all does seem to be in a hurry, but then again it is nearly the end of May! No, I have never taught in Kuwait and I am a happily married hippopotamus, so maybe it is hard for me to see this from the perspective of a young, female singleton. But hey, we all have to start somewhere. Even Kuwait might be fun, if you were to be on a nice compound with a pool, make some friends, enjoy teaching your students and save some money.

13. scarfandhat

scarfandhat New commenter

I am currently in Kuwait, if you PM me the schools name I can tell you more about :)

aliz22 likes this.
  14. afterdark

afterdark Established commenter

There are some websites that allow teachers to review international schools.

You might want to join one of these and read the reviews.

You can simply bring up google and type in

review + name of school + kuwait

And see what comes up.

My first international school posting was excellent. I do not regret going.

I know not everyone has the same experience.

Try look on social media for a group with the name of the school in.

The school sound keen.

Good luck.