1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Please help! Assembly story needed for KS2

Discussion in 'Primary' started by bexq, Nov 11, 2008.

1. Hi

I am an NQT and am taking a KS2 assembly tomorrow (not a faith school) Can anyone offer the benefit of their experience for a good story to use

Cheers!

2. Hi

I am an NQT and am taking a KS2 assembly tomorrow (not a faith school) Can anyone offer the benefit of their experience for a good story to use

Cheers!

3. Choose a topic you like and go with it. There are many assembly websites if you wish, or follow the schools worship policy. There are many books that you can buy - or borrow so that you are not in a fluster next time. If none has been done before why not an assembly on being a good friend. You can have a story, or use a sad puppet. One memorable assembly I did used a glass that was half full, half empty. It caused discussion on how to look at the world and to keep a positive viewpoint.

Good luck.

4. thanks a lot. i like the glass idea - might use that

5. babyjeebus

babyjeebus New commenter

http://www.primaryresources.co.uk/assembly/assembly.htm has loads of ideas.

One I like is about 2 brothers who fought over everything and were greedy - it ends up with you getting 2 kids up the front trying to eat rice crispies with a metre long spoon attached to their heads!
    Probably depends on the kind of school you are in though cause it might wind them up a bit.

6. Had planned to do that one but a colleague did it a couple of weeks ago! will keep looking online - ta for the help!

7. The parable of the geese, complete with children honking and demonstrating.
    <font face="Garamond"></font><font face="Garamond">
    The Parable of the Geese
    </font><font face="TimesNewRomanPS-ItalicMT" size="2">
    Author Unknown

Next fall when you see geese heading south for the winter, flying along in a V formation, you might be interested in knowing what science has discovered about why they fly that way.

It has been learned that as each bird flaps its wings, it creates an uplift for the bird immediately following.

By flying in a V formation, the whole flock adds at least 71% greater flying range than if each bird flew on its own.

People who share a common direction and sense of community can get where they are going quicker and easier, because they are traveling on the thrust of one another.

Whenever a goose falls out of formation, it suddenly feels the drag and resistance of trying to go it alone, and quickly gets back into formation to take advantage of the lifting power of the bird im mediately in front.

If we have as much sense as a goose, we stay in formation with those who are headed the same way we are going.

When the lead goose gets tired, he or she rotates back in the wing and another goose flies point. It pays to take turns doing hard jobs with people or with geese flying south.

The geese honk from behind to encourage those up front to keep up their speed. What do you say when you honk from behind?
    <font face="TimesNewRomanPS-ItalicMT" size="2">
    Finally, (now this is an important point!) when a goose gets sick or is wou nded b y gun s hot and falls out , two geese fall out of formation and follow him down to help and protect him. They stay with him until he is either able to fly or until he is dead . Then they launch out on their own or with another formation to catch up with their group.

If people knew we would stand by them like that, how much more would we all dare to do. Amen.
    </font>
    </font>

8. nhktfc

nhktfc New commenter

A bit late, but look on Teachernet, or try to read/act out one of Aesop's fables...I use the thirsty crow one to talk about perseverence.