1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Please Help! Any urgent advice appreciated

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Henna647398393, May 22, 2019.

1. spanboy

spanboy Occasional commenter

I know that Kuwait seems to be keen to offer jobs to NQTs but to me it just sounds a bit odd that you were given the job whilst still on the Skype interview, then you get the contract an hour after the interview?!! I hope I'm wrong but I would tread with caution. I mean no offence by this at all, but why would a school want to snap up an inexperienced teacher SO quickly? Or is this the norm in Kuwait? Maybe I'm too old-school lol! Mind you, I can quite understand your keenness to get out of teaching in Blighty ;)

afsheen1239873 likes this.
  2. bead

bead New commenter

First of all, Salary etc quoted is about right for the Green English one, the one with the same initials as this website, The new one or the Big British one.
    These four are BSO, so your induction year is exactly the same as if you did it in the UK.
    There are some horror places here, but the good ones are very good and well paid.
    Most of the single girls here love it and have a great time some dont like it but not many.
    Many Married couples stay for 20 years.
    Like I said if it is one of the good schools you will be fine.

3. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

That's the first time I have ever heard anyone describe Kuwait in such glowing terms.

4. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Well, the ME can be a bit of a Marmite thing. The OP has struggled to find a regular job in the UK, so maybe this is just what she needs.

It is now May, so many schools might be in a hurry to get their staffing sorted out for the next year. Yes, it does seem a bit quick, with the contract arriving asap after the interview, but maybe that is understandable. On the other hand, some of us have complained rather loudly about schools dragging their feet and taking too long to draw up the shortlists, interview, check all of the references and finally, finally send off the contract.

5. Bentley89

Bentley89 Occasional commenter

I am here now, with friends in most of the top schools. Drop me a personal message and we can have a chat. Happy to answer any questions at all.

6. englishdragon

englishdragon Occasional commenter

@afsheen1239873 ....... Welcome to the cutthroat world of international teaching. You can be lied to by almost any player in the chain. Schools. Recruiters. And especially, UK 'rent a name' education partners who sell their name and reputation as branding to the overseas partner. A particularly unfortunate case is the 450+ year old Sad Values School from a county rhymes with Bent an hour south of London and their ill-fated school in Tianjin whose staff has recently been asked to report for cleaning and values re-education duties on Saturdays. See @ruthwill500 long thread on this forum if you want to see how bad it can get.

rideemcowboy likes this.