1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Please help! Activites/Ideas for Bright Reception Children

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by meda103, Nov 12, 2011.

1. Hi, as I'm sure many of you have, I have some very clever Reception children. I have all the usual areas and lots of choice, but wondered if anyone had any really good ideas for activities/resources that bright children have really enjoyed? One of my boys said to me yesterday "I'm bored" and I felt awful! It's my first year teaching Reception so would really appreciate some help! Thanks!

2. Hi, as I'm sure many of you have, I have some very clever Reception children. I have all the usual areas and lots of choice, but wondered if anyone had any really good ideas for activities/resources that bright children have really enjoyed? One of my boys said to me yesterday "I'm bored" and I felt awful! It's my first year teaching Reception so would really appreciate some help! Thanks!

3. I have a very bright reception class too and have had a few 'i'm bored's over the last few weeks. A couple of time i know its because the children haven't been listening while i've been explaining the days activities and they quickly settle to something they didn't realise was on offer.

I have some very able boys who are into building houses from duplo at the moment so I give them a challenge: i.e. can you build a repeating pattern into the walls? Can you add an upstairs? Can you make a block of flats? Can you build tunnels and a station for the train set?

I've got some lovely observations of team work, problem solving, language etc from watching their play.

Would be really interested to see other peoples ideas.

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter

What he meant was is "I don't want to do this and I'm not imaginative enough to initiate anything myself because I'm used to adults providing the entertainment" I would work on challenges that are going to challenge him to think for himself.

5. That's a very good point about him initiating it himself! Construction ideas are great-thanks! Any more ideas would be great :0)