1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Please help - acceleration, enrichment and extension

Discussion in 'Primary' started by taspat, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Also, are you given any training on how to provide for mathematically gifted children?

2. I would interpret:
    * enrichment - broadening of children's learning (ie different contexts, use of investigations)
    * acceleration - moving into objectives from the year above.
    * extension - either of the above when it is an 'add-on' - ie children do the main task first then have something more challenging to do, as opposed to more able children having a different task set from the beginning.

Personally, 80% enrichment + 20% acceleration. My suspicion (as a Year 6 teacher) is that Year 7 colleagues will teach the year 7 curriculum and not accelerate until Y8/9 irrelevant of the children's starting points. Our more able complain that they spend Year 7 going over the same old stuff as Year 6 anyway. In an ideal world, I think children could be accelerated more if they are genuinely ready for it.