1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Please help a worried NQT: mixed age 4/5 literacy planning

Discussion in 'Primary' started by claire2525, Jun 30, 2020.

1. claire2525

claire2525 New commenter

I am set to teach a mixed age 4/5 class in September. I have figured out the maths but can't find any examples of how to plan for literacy. There seems to be nothing out there.

Does anyone have any tips or could anyone send me some 4/5 literacy planning so I could see how it works in practice? gabrielleclairek@gmail.com

TIA!!

2. Ds2d12

Ds2d12 Occasional commenter

As every school is different, the absolute best thing you could do is contact the school you’re going to work in and ask for some examples of previous planning. There is no reason why you should be planning from scratch when previous work will have been done. Don’t every be afraid of asking for help either. I’ve been teaching 12 years and I’d find it impossible to just plan whole units without looking at old examples and past planning.

claire2525 likes this.
  3. ajc89

ajc89 Occasional commenter

@claire2525 take a look at Hamilton trust - they do mixed planning

4. Abitofeverything

Abitofeverything Occasional commenter

I don't think you have to differentiate too much with literacy - you can just differentiate by outcome and or by learning objective - eg. you will be working at expected Y4 if you can show me this, and expected Y5 if you can show me this...
    I taught a mixed Y4/5 class for 3 years. It is tricky at first, but it actually pulls the Y4s up a lot. The hardest thing I found was that you then couldn't reuse anything the following year as the Y4s were still in your class as Y5s! Good luck

claire2525 likes this.
  5. claire2525

claire2525 New commenter

Thanks for all your advice, very helpful!

6. DFC

DFC New commenter

White Rose Hub do mixed age 4/5 planning for Maths.