1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Please give me hope.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by thelovelyliz, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Has anybody ever successfully managed to get into full time teaching following a career break to have children?
    I regret leaving so much now, but couldn't have known that it would prove impossible to get another job. My marriage is strained because of money worries and we never have money to really enjoy life and because my husband has so much work to do because he is the sole earner he is often at work and so I have the full time responsibilities of the house and childcare.
    Does anybody have any useful advice?

2. Has anybody ever successfully managed to get into full time teaching following a career break to have children?
    I regret leaving so much now, but couldn't have known that it would prove impossible to get another job. My marriage is strained because of money worries and we never have money to really enjoy life and because my husband has so much work to do because he is the sole earner he is often at work and so I have the full time responsibilities of the house and childcare.
    Does anybody have any useful advice?

3. Not personally, but I have worked with people in that situation - usually they started back P/T and then applied for F/T positions, though.

4. Yes, it's that relevant recent experience I am missing. [​IMG]

5. Not teaching personally, but I know what a battle it is to get back "in the loop" after a break for child rearing.
    I started with a few hours (did freelance too), then a few more hours (totally overqualified for what I was doing), then part-time, then three-quarters, then finally full-time again and once I had managed that, things were back on the up again and I have been promoted twice since then.
    It IS hard - I sent off 49 applications for f/t work before I was even invited to an interview.
    To explain the "relevant recent experience" - make sure your application makes explicit that you are au fait with developments whilst you have been away. Know the buzz words. Mention transferable skills from home to school (after all you will be working with children - you now have an even more indepth understanding blah blah and can understand the parent perspective blah blah and can thus contribute to the school/home communication with more perspective blah blah).
    Get on the other forum and ask Theo for advice!
    Plod on, keep plugging, don't give up - you will get there.
    As to teaching - many of my friends in the UK are teachers and they have managed to get back in too - but it also took time.

6. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Try not to lash yourself with regret - none of us are Edith Piaf you know. But you just have to take up the challenge and work with the life you've got. When I returned after 8 yrs at home I was so much better motivated and knew so much more about children. I had also learned what hard work actually was and really wanted to be there. I worked my ..... off and ended up with a good career. Keep plugging away as everyone has said. Good luck.

7. Just another thought -
    I have never filled in one of your UK teaching application forms (nor any UK application form, for that matter) so I don't know how much space you have, but in MY covering letter...
    Employers are not allowed to ask you if you plan to get pregnant again, if you have child care sorted, etc.
    However, I always made it explicit that I had my childcare arrangements in place and was thus in a position to work f/t, plus any extra hours needed (whether you later do or don't is by the by!)
    When I finally got my first offer, I had a "feedback" talk a couple of months later and asked why they had chosen me over other canditates (because I am like that).
    It was because I had taken the wind out of their sales with my covering letter by stipulating that I was available and that I had my private affairs (i.e. family) sorted.
    A man would never have to make this point - unfortunately, as a woman, you can do yourself a favour by mentioning it.
    This is only partially valid advice - as I think in the UK your gender is not even mentioned on the application form, however, if you have had a break, it is pretty obvious that you have to explain it, so it is pretty obvious you will need to mention at some point that you are a mother!

8. becky70

becky70 Occasional commenter

Firstly that if you are job hunting in the UK (and I'll assume you are) that competition is extremely fierce. I'm in primary but hear a similar story from secondary colleagues.
    My story is different as I'm not a mother and just walked out of my job because I hated it but I don't have a permanent contract and I quit my job more than three years ago. I doubt you can jump straight from full time stay at home mum to full time permanent teacher. Luckily there are lots of inbetween options - supply, tutoring, temporary posts both full and part time.
    I never had a break from teaching as such - just a fairly long stint on supply and then a temporary contract which has now been renewed again. It's not perfect - I would like to be permanent but I am paying my way again at home!

9. Thank you. I had gathered that competition was fierce - I have attended several interviews without success, every time being told that I lost out to somebody who has relevant experience.
    Unfortunately the 'in between' options don't apply to me. Supply isn't an option and neither is tutoring (no real demand for it in my subject.)
    In interviews it is quite hard as I do emphasise my up to date knowledge of the curriculum but again lose out to someone who is either training or in a post. I enjoyed teaching before I left (and dare I say was very good at it) but it seems I'm running out of options which is a shame.

10. bnm

bnm

It was many moons ago, but I once resigned a permanent contract in order to work abroad. When I returned I initially got a 6 month contract job, which was then extended by another year. I then took a year long temporary job which then turned permanent (I then moved onwards and upwards quite easily).
    I think you need to be prepared to take shorter term posts for which there may be less competition, to get yourself back into the market again.

11. I would be fully prepared to go for these if any became available :)

12. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

when my wife had our first baby she resigned from work.and never went back.we decided that she would be a full time mum and i would work to support the family.and so it happened for 16 years.
    As a husband i didnt have a go at my wife for not working,or indeed bemoan the situation as we decided..........and it no shame to be a ful time mum Just that you have to cut our cloth accordingly as they say

If you cant get back in to teaching then try other routes, If you have time there are refugee agencies who are looking for help or home reading,. one of my friends did reading in al ocal school and then on to part time.she was a trained teacher.Eventaully she got a ful time job.
    Sometimes the answer is not in despairing.although its easier to say than do....but into looking back in to modern practise and proving you are good locally...and then ask them to be your refferee>

13. I had a few years out after having 3 children in less than 2 years. I found my way back through supply the 1st time, when I was offered a part time contract and then again through supply when we moved areas. I initially had a one term contract and I'm still there 21 years later. Maternity cover could be a good starting point.

14. Thanks. I really would be delighted to take up a maternity post, but there simply haven't been any. Just the odd mainscale post which is happy to invite me to interview, but not to offer me the job.
    Thank you for the very sweet post. My husband is supportive, but I can't pretend that living on so little money isn't depressing. Apart from the limiting factor of day to day living, I also worry tremendously that we can't save to fund our children through higher education or help them when the time comes with weddings or deposits for flats.
    Day to day supply is not an option because of where we live (very rural) and I do not drive as we can't afford to buy and run a second car. I also have a child not at school yet and would need to know which days I was working well in advance to book her into a nursery or childminder and of course I wouldn't be able to do that. Then I would need to be home at a certain time to pick child 1 up from school. I would need something with some structure, even if it was three days a week for one term. I wish I could be more flexible but it isn't something I can do just now unfortunately.

15. Oh heck, may I go through that point for point, or would I upset you?

16. I don't know, it depends on what you want to say! Please feel free, but we cannot afford a car, we cannot afford to put two children into childcare/after school clubs on the offchance I may get work and we really can't afford to move, either [​IMG]

17. Would it be possible to help out at your child's school on a regular basis? It would mean you would be in a school environment and could lead to some work later. This is presuming you are a primary teacher of course.

18. Okay, I cannot believe that i am reccomeding this but I am. After reading and TOTALLY sympathising, we live in a rural area i am part time andreally struggling to run tow cars, both of which are c***. I have to suggest that perhaps you try a different career or take on something local and flexible and permanent. the money might not match teaching but the hours and locality would match your lifestyle. I have often thought to myself that if i could afford it i would go and work in our local Sainsburys part time around my own young children's school hours but it is not feasible or afforable.
    Maybe a career change? I could if I would, juggling the paper work hours and my two very young children is a nightmare!!

19. I'm not I'm afraid! I do help out with reading twice a week but it's more for the love of it than as a career move. Perhaps things will be easier when both children are in full time education.

20. I cleaned offices in the evenings and worked as a shop assistant in M&S at the weekends to bring in some pennies when my kids were little because I had no-one to look after them. Because we were skint, my husband used his holiday entitlement to mind the kids while I did supply for a few weeks. He wasn't hugely thrilled at working all day all week and then having to do all the childcare while I worked but life is so seldom perfect.
    Later on I had an arrangement with a mother I met at playgroup that she had mine for two days a week whilst I did supply, and I had hers for two days while she did supply. We had plenty of work because we live in a city and only worked at really sh1t schools. Again, you do what you have to do.
    If your problem is lack of mobility, lack of reliably regular work and your location, then I can only suggest that you do consider moving to somewhere with more job opportunities nearby. You can always afford to move if you move to a smaller/cheaper house. You have to consider your priorities. Or alternatively, you can sit at home waiting for a nice job to fall in your lap. I think your chances of landing a regular teaching job out in the sticks are small.