1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Please forgive me for being so chipper!!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Dragonlady30, Aug 25, 2015.

1. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Usually, at this time of the year, sleep becomes disturbed and I haunt stationery shops as I LOVE new pens etc and have the mistaken belief that new pens will make my life trouble free

But not this year, no!! After 41 years at the chalk face (the last 4 doing part time supply) I have become a non-teacher!! And I have gone back to a former life in retail!! Just 3 days a week you understand, and on a really low salary, but I'm one delighted old dragon. I'm surrounded by pretty things and nothing to bring home at night. In fact, OH has said I'll have the police on me if I bring things home!

It's all scary and new but I cannot tell you how much I'm enjoying it all, to the point where I started last week-week 5 of the Summer holiday.

I don't feel guilty as I was one of the 50+-UPS3-teachers-with-a-new-head-so-was-encouraged-to-retire-early-losing-7.5% of my pension [​IMG]

As everything is new, it's all more than a bit tiring but I'll survive!!

Ooh!! Can I still post here as I'm no longer a teacher?

2. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Oh course you can post on here there are a lot of non teachers on here who waffle on about not a lot.Usually about teaching for which they have no experience or relevance

Well done dragon.I am so pleased you have managed to find an occupation you like and I hope you continue to love it.

I am sorry your losing part of your pension but be grateful your escaping the many idiots who seem to run our schools today.

Well done and now enjoy your evenings of non school work.x

3. cosmosinfrance

cosmosinfrance Star commenter

Congratulations dragonlady!

Enjoy all those pretty things :)

4. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Oooh, is that the shop with pretty things with the initials JL? I bought a couple of pretty cushions yesterday?

How lovely to be doing something that you are really enjoying a new challenge. Any money to supplement the pension is welcome!

5. cosmosinfrance

It's not JL is it? I really envy you now!

6. Dragonlady30

Not JL, although I did work for them when I was a student and LOVED working for them. In my new career, the products are, for the most part, made of gold and silver and diamonds and other precious stones!!!!

7. cosmosinfrance

ooooooooooh - how lovely!

8. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Ooh, may well be doing the very same thing! Have just been for an assessment and it was good fun.

9. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Oh my! Jewellery then. I'd love to be selling pretty things with diamonds, especially rings. Almost as good as working in a wedding dress shop for me. How wonderful to be a small part of people's happiness. Dragonlady's, where did you come across such a gem of a job (pun intended!)

10. Dragonlady30

Would you believe a sign in the window saying they were recruiting? Honestly!!

11. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

A MAY ZING!!!

I could do that. I could!!! I want to. You lucky, lucky woman.

12. Dragonlady30

[​IMG]

Right place, right time I suppose.

I've always loved jewellery and have designed and made my own on a very small scale.

13. grumpydogwoman

WOW!

I bet you beat loads of other applicants. High 5. That is a seriously good achievement. No wonder you're chipper. You should be.

14. Dragonlady30

Thank you!!

It was all unplanned but I knew I needed to find something closer to home as, for the last 4 years, I've been driving 45 minutes each way to various schools and it's killing me!! Also, I have a gas-guzzler car so it's been costing a bomb too.

Now that I'm on the pension!! he he he, I don't pay NI, don't pay a bomb in petrol or TP contributions (long story-mistake!!) have a bus pass and am getting govt pension, I'm in an OK financial position.

I know I am very, very lucky!

15. grumpydogwoman

You are fortunate. But you're grateful too so I'm really pleased for you. Enjoy it!

16. Dragonlady30

D'oh!!! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. grumpydogwoman

18. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Am confused, dragonlady. If you're over 60, how come there was a reduction in your TP and, if you're under 60, how are you getting the state pension?

19. Dragonlady30

I started taking my TP 4 years ago when I 'left' full time teaching. (Did she fall or was she pushed!!) If I'd been allowed to carry on until my proper leaving date-at aged 60-I'd have received the full pension.

I'm 62 and 8 months so started getting my govt pension earlier this month.

20. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Why is it that I only see adverts in shop windows for jobs I wouldn't touch with the proverbial!

My friend decided to buy herself a diamond ring with some of the money she had from her dad's legacy. She asked me to go with her to help choose. We went to a jewellers where you have to ring the bell to be admitted. We had a great time trying on lots of rings!

I am envious Dragonlady, but well done you! I think I need to stalk the shops in My town to see if anything similar is available. Good point about the commute as well. It's fifteen minutes for me and I can get the bus if necessary and they're every fifteen minutes

It's a proper good news story and your enthusiasm is infectious! You'll be talking carats, clarity and cut soon!