1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Please don't like me any more

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Didactylos4, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Umm :rolleyes:
    Well you can like me if you want but I would be most grateful if you don't use the "like" button on any of my future posts.
    I won't be "liking" anyone else's posts from now on, though I may make known my appreciation of what I consider to be good posts in another manner

I appreciate that TES have put this system in place for what they consider to be good reasons and whilst I know it isn't possible to opt out entirely I really don't want any badges next to my name and do not want to be classed as a Star commenter (or whatever I end up as when I get demoted in the latest shuffle) and I certainly don't want to progress further up the rankings.

I am sure that there are TES contributors who will want to continue within the points system and will want the status of badges and titles and, should they wish, they are welcome to say why on here. (but they don't have to)
    I'm fairly sure that others feel like me and will make their feelings known on this thread (if it lasts)

TCSC47, NQT08, lardylegs and 7 others like this.
  2. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

Hmmmm but what if folk aren't "Liking" to gain you "awards" but alerting to show publicly they agree with you?

3. Didactylos4

Use something else
    A smile will do or possibly that sinister looking :cool: cool icon:)

4. Didactylos4

I miss the thumbs up

5. aspensquiver_2

aspensquiver_2 Senior commenter

What a breathtakingly egocentric thread.

viceroy, Flere-Imsaho and FritzGrade like this.
  6. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

perhaps something like this?
    [​IMG]

Marisha, JL48, smartledore123 and 5 others like this.
  7. Didactylos4

I am sure there are many alternatives

8. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I don't mind the like system, now we've become accustomed to it. I think the awards and ranking is a bit pointless and to some extent divisive, as could be seen from the discussions when points were deducted in error.

The like button is a simple way of confirming that posters agree with or enjoyed a post, even though they may have nothing to add and there's nothing more irritating than clicking on a thread that appears to have extra comments, only to find that nothing other that smiley has been added.

Something else the likes do is allow posters who may be late to reading a thread, let other posters know they enjoyed a particular post without disrupting discussion that may well have moved on somewhat.

In some respects, posting on this forum is a bit like broadcasting to a R4 audience on a wireless station with a low number of likely listeners, such as might be found in hospital radio, something I did for a while in the early 70s. I had no idea whatsoever if anyone was ever listening to me. Getting the occasional like confirms that people actually read what I've taken the trouble to contribute. It also gives encouragement to new posters who might otherwise not feel they are engaging.

Reading some of the comments from old lags, I can see there has been some resentment that the post count they built up over many years was wiped and they now appear as new contributors or occasional contributors. We all understand that individual's circumstances change and regular, well-liked contributors aren't able to show their faces for a while, maybe months or even years, but they were once respected members of the community, so coming back and starting afresh as a "new contributor" is probably tedious for them.

It would be better I feel, if instead of having a ranking system, underneath each poster's username there was mention of the date they joined.

I really don't see what the point of having the ranking system is, anymore than I can see there's a virtue in awarding degrees to any kid who makes it to university on the basis that the education system is rigged to ensure the necessary grades to enable it can be achieved and the cost of tuition fees can be met, one way or other.

We are, as a nation, obsessed with status, but I don't think it does anyone any good. My current status as a Star Contributor hasn't influenced my posting behaviour in any way, shape or form. I make my own judgements on who I regard as "Star Contributors" and am inclined to click on threads I've seen those I respect as having added to, since they may be bringing something of interest to otherwise dull threads. I'm sure we all do it.

Perhaps it would be better if @TES_Rosaline explained to us what it is that TES see as the virtue the award system will bring to us all and we move on from there.

In the interim, I refuse to be told by anyone not to use any of the site facilities, and if the occasion ever occurs that I like what you post @Didactylos4, then screw you. I will like it. [​IMG]

9. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I think by staging a public protest you're dignifying it with rather more significance than it merits.
    It's an unachievable goal because people will forget, just ignore your request or new posters will like anyway so you end up still working towards star status, just a tiny bit slower than otherwise.

You post your way, I mine.
    :D

10. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

11. guinnesspuss

guinnesspuss Star commenter

12. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I've got no interest in the 'Star Commenter' status type badge but I like the 'likes' for the reasons DoY said.

ValentinoRossi, cissy3, wanet and 8 others like this.
  13. guinnesspuss

guinnesspuss Star commenter

Now, do I press like or post a smiley?
    :confused:
    Both:)

GLsghost likes this.
  14. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

"Everybody stop looking at me. Stop! Hey you, pay attention, I said stop looking at me"

15. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

I hope this doesn't start an avalanche of prescriptive 'liking' requests, I'll never remember who wants what!

16. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Everything that DoY said! I agree with all of it. That'll probably never happen again!

17. cuteinpuce

cuteinpuce Star commenter

No probs.

18. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

I just haven't ever paid any attention as to whether I am a star guide/flower child/grumpy old woman (I must say I find myself nodding vigorously too much of the time when Janet Street Porter speaks....) or the witch queen of New Orleans........ I have never seen the point of it...so I don't care about it.

I do also quite like to see who agree with me when I support a poster's views.

19. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

You can like my posts on Tuesday and Saturday but not Sunday or after 3pm on Wednesday, Thursday or Monday. This only applies if you are wearing yellow. If you're wearing blue you are REQUIRED to like all my posts every day - except Thursday to Saturday. Never feed me after midnight.

Florentina03, Sillow, cissy3 and 6 others like this.
  20. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

:eek:

Florentina03 likes this.