1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Please don't laugh - My rabbit is intersted in a relationship with my cat!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by grrmummy, Apr 2, 2012.

1. grrmummy

grrmummy New commenter

This is a serious post!
    The rabbit we rehomed (last April) was unable to live with other rabbits because she attacked them. Everything was fine for twelve months... but now the rabbit (who comes from her outside pen during the day into our kitchen at night and (over recent weeks) literally jumps on top of our male cat... (I will leave this bit to your imagination).Said rabbit is placed inside a cage in the kitchen at night but we do like her to have some freedom to run around so do not really want her to be confined all the time (We have previously had house rabbits albeit that they were outside during the day)
    So my questions are:
    <ol>[*] (I apologise for being abit dim) but o rabbits come on heat?[*]Has anyone had experience of a rabbit being 'interested'in a cat and if so what did you do?[*]How do you explain this relationship to children? (LOL!)</ol>Any advice/suggestions would be gratefully appreciated...[​IMG]

2. grrmummy

grrmummy New commenter

This is a serious post!
    The rabbit we rehomed (last April) was unable to live with other rabbits because she attacked them. Everything was fine for twelve months... but now the rabbit (who comes from her outside pen during the day into our kitchen at night and (over recent weeks) literally jumps on top of our male cat... (I will leave this bit to your imagination).Said rabbit is placed inside a cage in the kitchen at night but we do like her to have some freedom to run around so do not really want her to be confined all the time (We have previously had house rabbits albeit that they were outside during the day)
    So my questions are:
    <ol>[*] (I apologise for being abit dim) but o rabbits come on heat?[*]Has anyone had experience of a rabbit being 'interested'in a cat and if so what did you do?[*]How do you explain this relationship to children? (LOL!)</ol>Any advice/suggestions would be gratefully appreciated...[​IMG]

3. 1 - Not sure but is he neuteured because that will calm him down.
    2 - No but my rabbit liked to hump the guniea pigs!
    3 - Tell the children they like to play piggy back!

4. Richie Millions

Richie Millions New commenter

Oh how vulgar. Rabbit pie is very tasty.

5. lrw22

lrw22 Occasional commenter

I just feel sorry for the poor old cat. When we were kids we had a cat and a rabbit. The cat was absolutely terrified of the rabbit and wouldn't go near it. Maybe something had gone on that we hadn't seen!!

6. henriette

henriette New commenter

we once took our (neutered female) cat to the vet because she had a horrid sore at the bottom of her back.
    It turned out that the (unneutered male) rabbit (who we let roam around the garden) had been trying to mate with her and the sore was caused by him using his teeth to hold her steady.
    Poor cat!

7. Rabbits need to be neutered just like cats or dogs if you don't want them to be expressing those urges. Speak to your vet.

8. msmuse

msmuse New commenter

I agree. As an ex rabbit breeder I can confirm that rabbits do indeed have urges and will express that urge anywhere and everywhere, and will also be aggressive with other rabbits unless neutered. Take her to the vet, she will be a lot calmer and happy when the deed is done.

9. the thought of a rabbit with urges that go anywhere has quite put me off browsing through Per Una. I'll thank you to leave your animalistic passions elsewhere.

10. This is quite normal, it's about dominance and establishing a pecking order, the rabbit is showing the acat who is boss, that is all. Seriously though, I wouln't leave them together, however big the rabbit is, it would only take a moment from the cat to inflict lethal damage. We keep rabbits and cats, and they have over the years sometimes got together, no harm has come to either, but we were awsre we were lucky.

11. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

My Jack Russell attempts to shag one of the cats at 5.30pm regularly every day. At least it's the female cat! He's fine all day, then at 5.30pm, after his tea and his constitutional, he sets on the cat. We hear strange miaowing (sp?) noises and find the cat looking quite distressed and licked to death (foreplay?).
    It's got to be such a nuisance we now lock him up at the first sign of trouble
    Poor ***** cat!.

12. All of this sounds much more appropriate than my most recent relationship.
    However, get the rabbit spayed. If it works, I may consider the same approach. [​IMG]