1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Please don't be cross, I need to ask because I don't know...

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by minnieminx, Apr 6, 2012.

1. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I'm still toying with the idea of applying for a TLR post at my school, not at all sure what I'm going to do yet.

However another school is advertising a preferred post, though it isn't a preferred school, with a closing date earlier than my school will interview.

Can I apply for both, or would my current HT not be impressed with me showing a slight lack of commitment? I don't want to blow all chance of getting the post in my school if I do decide to apply, but at the same time it seems silly not to apply for a different post in case I don't get the one in mine.

Thank you.

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I'm still toying with the idea of applying for a TLR post at my school, not at all sure what I'm going to do yet.

However another school is advertising a preferred post, though it isn't a preferred school, with a closing date earlier than my school will interview.

Can I apply for both, or would my current HT not be impressed with me showing a slight lack of commitment? I don't want to blow all chance of getting the post in my school if I do decide to apply, but at the same time it seems silly not to apply for a different post in case I don't get the one in mine.

Thank you.

3. You could be cheeky and apply without telling your head at first, should you be successfully shortlisted you could approach the head and talk about your desire to progress. Stating that you would prefer to progress in your current school, but you saw an opportunity that should not be missed. As long as you reiterate to your head that this post is secondary to the one in your school he/she can surely not see that as a lack of commitment, but determination to progress.
    Good luck!

4. wellingtonboot

wellingtonboot New commenter

Except you would have to give your head's name as a referee (safer recruiting...) and references may be called for, or the head of the other school phone your head for a chat, before you find out you are short-listed.
    This could be a short-cut to missing out on both jobs...

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

There's two sorts of commitment here.
    Commitment to your school, and commitment to your career. Both are valid, and need not be in conflict at this stage.
    Luckily, the other school is not your preferred one, so . . .
    I would suggest that you speak to your Head. Tell her all the good things about working with her and in your current school that you would miss if you left, but say that you feel that the time is ripe, very ripe, for a professional advancement for you. You are this sure that she will understand that although you would prefer to stay, you must give yourself the maximum possible chance of getting a TLR for September, to begin the next stage of your career. Say that you are therefore going to apply for the other school too, although you have been agonising over this decision.
    This shouldn't cause any upset nor accusations, even unspoken, of lack of commitment.
    And then you just hope that they don't put their interviews in first, before your school . . .
    Best wishes

6. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Good advice from Theo there as usual.
    Your Head is aware of your desire to progress, so his suggestion is a good idea. May even ensure they put their own interview date earlier!

7. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Noooo because (as wellingtonboot says) one or other post, or a similar post later this term, would be the desired outcome. No improvement in career and a lecture on how to behave from my HT, would not be equally good!
    Hmmmm... He and I have had several conversations already about what I want to do next year and the problems this year. Applying elsewhere won't be a big surprise, and the elsewhere is an AH position rather than a TLR. Elsewhere would be better, and make me happier I think, for now, but staying (assuming I got the TLR post) would give me a better reference and application next summer.
    I can do that, though perhaps not mentioning that the agony is over whether to apply for the TLR in his school.
    They won't. The closing date is before the interviews, but their interview date is later.

Thank you all.

8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Good luck!