1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Please could you advise on how to do Tutoring..

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by slingshotsally, Sep 19, 2016.

1. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

my experience prior to this was in schools. Have you considered adult ed? I love teaching adults now, that way I am not as tied to sschool hols and they are far more flexible. you may get local businesses whose employees need help with English and maths etc

slingshotsally likes this.
  2. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

I would absolutely be further investigating this area- so far I have only taught in schools!

3. Ian1983

Ian1983 New commenter

One other thing: get a couple of people to cast their eyes over your Facebook pages and advertising posters and give you feedback. There may well be simple things you can improve on them.

I'm happy to have a look if you want to PM the links, or alternatively ask family / friends / colleagues.

4. slingshotsally

I followed up the website and rang the organisation- they are very good, but only cover a particular geographical area. Not my area. Thanks, though, as I made other phone calls.

install likes this.
  5. langteacher

One of the things I found useful on the social networking course I went on was a simple one, obvious when you think about it....
    Don't just put ads and prices etc on your facebook page, people tend to just scroll past them, put things that are specific to your subject, so maybe some maths puzzles etc or news articles. Anything that gets people talking. Mine is a language page and sometimes I just put nice pictures on there, it catches people's eye and generates comments and therefore is seen by more people.

6. slingshotsally

I shall do this later in the week- if that's OK!

langteacher likes this.
  7. Piranha

Piranha Lead commenter

I thought that QTS allowed you to teach any age. In any cae, for tutoring what matters is what you understand well enough to tutor. Their is no requirement for QTS if you are doing it privately, although it may be an advantage in getting business.

I have noticed a few tutor adverts in the windows of shops near my school - that seems a logical place to try. All my tutees have come from personal contacts, so letting as many people as possible know that there is an experienced teacher out there is a good thing to do. My first tutee came from a friend of somebody in my running club. Her mum then mentioned me to a teacher at their daughter's previous primary school, who then passed my name on to the parents of another ex-pupli there etc. And I wasn't even loojking to be a tutor!

8. slingshotsally

@Piranha

I am very new to tutoring! I have to say, when I got the QTS certificate, I didn't read it, just filed it away. Then I would dig it out for each interview and put it straight back in the folder so it wouldn't get lost.

Today I have been prepping for the student I have managed to get- It's very exciting for me (sounds a bit embarrassing).

As for the facebook page, it seems I need to boost it as I don't know enough people in the area. I think perhaps my "copy writing" needs to better.

Now that I look at my posters- they seem a bit amateurish...

Thanks or the response though, as it does all help.

SSS

9. Piranha

Piranha Lead commenter

I am also very new to it. Good luck. Once you get established, you should find more bookings rolling in from personal recommendations.

10. slingshotsally

I sent a link.

Please could you have a look and tell me what you think.

11. tutor2921

tutor2921 New commenter

Hi, I've been tutoring for over a year and I'm currently turning students away. I've recently set up a Facebook page but the majority of my students have come from a Facebook group called York Mumbler, I think they have them for other areas so have a look, mums are always looking for tutors!

I'm now trying to find some ways of tutoring during the day, advertising to adults is proving trickier!

Good luck with it!

12. Ian1983

Ian1983 New commenter

Yes I've just looked now and I've PM'd you back.

13. langteacher

What subject are you?

14. slingshotsally

@tutor2921

There isn't a mumblr for my area, sorry to say.

Mumsnet is not so great either- very little by why of recent posts!!

15. tutor2921

tutor2921 New commenter

Primary and maths up to GCSE level as I have a maths degree.

16. langteacher

Might be worth approaching local employers to see if there is a way in there.
    I was approached by someone few years ago for lessons. they found me on uktutors or one of those sites. his employer funded a learning scheme. I filled in the form to go on their list of tutors and is now a reasonable source of income for me .
    If you know someone who works in a big business, or any size for that matter, ask them to put a poster in their staff room.

17. slingshotsally

I had my first session with a pupil today-YAY!

mathsmutt likes this.
  18. mathsmutt

mathsmutt Star commenter Forum guide and community helper

Hope it is the first of many !:)

19. slingshotsally

mathsmutt likes this.
  20. tutor2921

tutor2921 New commenter

Thank you, that's a great idea, I'll have a think about how best to approach it.