1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Please could you advise on how to do Tutoring..

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by slingshotsally, Sep 19, 2016.

1. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Remember though folks - every tutee is different.

slingshotsally likes this.
  2. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

Doesn't anyone else use Facebook for advertising? I got my first couple of students through recommendations and word-of-mouth. But I now get lots of enquiries via my Facebook page, which I update regularly, including sponsored posts when I need it. I get messages via my page and have sadly been having to turn down some students because I'm fully booked.

I also put some posters up in local coffee shops, though I don't think this has been as effective as Facebook.

3. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

I use Facebook but I've never paid to sponsor. I am also fully booked for the evenings.
    Facebook was far better than a website for me

4. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

Is that because you are local to the area and have taught in some of the schools so you are better established within the community?

As I moved into to a new area entirely, it is really difficult to attract parents.

5. cwilson1983

cwilson1983 Occasional commenter

Hi Eva, can I ask a couple of questions:

Did you set up a separate Facebook page for your tuition or just use a personal account?

Also have you dabbled much with paying to promote it? If so, was it successful?

Thanks

6. Ian1983

Ian1983 New commenter

First thing I'd do if I was ever to relocate is to do supply for a term or so in the local schools purely to get myself known to all the local HoD's.

7. slingshotsally

Gosh- I am so naïve!!

8. Ian1983

Ian1983 New commenter

Just about the only thing I can remember from the business studies part of my degree is the phrase "Who you know is more important than what you know"!

9. slingshotsally

Ah, I never did business studies which explains quite a lot!

Have you ever just hired a room at a local community centre and sent invites? I'm sort of getting desperate- It's less than £15 for 2 hours, with use of kitchen for drinks. I could get some biccies, buns and bits for snacks- all in for £20. Should I chance it?

10. Ian1983

Ian1983 New commenter

No I've never done that.

What have you done so far in terms of advertising etc?

11. slingshotsally

Facebook business page, A4 posters in 3 local libraries, postcard on Supermarket board (they don't allow leaflets or business cards).
    I haven't got the car notice.

emerald52 likes this.
  12. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

Email all the local schools For Attention Of ..... they may have students who want a private tutor. Join a local Facebook gossip girls page as they usually allow advertising once a month. Email the local paper, radio, tv stations. Hand out flyers to target age group or parents in town centre.

13. Ian1983

Ian1983 New commenter

Definitely agree with using local Facebook groups - they're great for advertising. And without a doubt, get to know your local schools - email next best thing if you're not prepared to do supply to get to know them personally.

You not keen on vehicle graphics then? Probably my biggest source of new pupils.

Remember too that as with any new business, becoming known and recommended takes time and you shouldn't expect an immediate flood of enquiries.

slingshotsally and emerald52 like this.
  14. slingshotsally

The vehicle graphic are great- just need a car!! The car has gone to meet it's maker.

15. langteacher

As well as local buying and selling pages on facebook, you can also join net mums, that kind of thing. I have had a few from this kind of site.
    Another thing you may want to look at is the Children's University. It is an accreditation thing for youngsters who do stuff outside of school. If you are registered with them, you stamp their books (they are called learning passports) and they get bronze / silver / gold etc according to how many hours they do over the year. You have to apply to register etc but it is free and then you are on their database.. To be honest, it has not brought me anything but I have not plugged it that much. From netmums, I did a year's work with a small group at a childminder's house after school. Worked well for me as I charge a bit more for little groups and worked well for them as it worked out cheaper for the parents.

Have a look and see if there are any local business networks. I used to go to breakfast meetings at a local cafe and swap business cards and facebook pages etc. We would then plug each other's page. This has brought me a fair amount of work.

When I first set up, the bank put me in touch with the Women's Organisation, a charitable org set up to redress the balance of the male / female business owners ratio. They ran free courses on networking and also things like book keeping etc

16. langteacher

Sorry I only just spotted this bit.
    No I was not new to the area but neither have I ever contacted the local schools directly. It is just a case of building my business up.
    When I first started out on my own, I had had a really difficult time (I am a young widow) and I did not want to take on too much but I needed a new start. More than four years later, I am still going and have had a few spells of turning work away because I am too busy
    Stick at it. You will get there

emerald52 likes this.
  17. slingshotsally

Thank for replying and explaining a little more about the background, it's very thoughtful of you.

I began this endeavour with so much hope and I do have one pupil so far. So it's just plugging away so, wearing.

emerald52 likes this.
  18. slingshotsally

I am going to sign up with mumsnet and look for the networks that you mentioned.

Do you have a link for the training you did?

19. langteacher

20. slingshotsally

Many thanks.

My QTS allows me to teach up to 16- I am tutoring a 16yr old at the moment to GCSE in English, Maths and Science.