1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Please could someone clarify - threshold

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by campergirl78, Mar 16, 2011.

1. OK, I will try & keep this straightforward even though I find it very confusing!!
    I moved to UPS1 in September 2008 after completing the application - progressed fine with no problems.
    I have (after a few months battle) been progressed to UPS2 and am having it back dated to Sept 2010.
    My query is, as I was eligible to progress to UPS2 in Sept 2010, who's responsiblity was it to address this? Should I as the teacher have applied? Or is the onus on the Headteacher once the teacher is already on the upper pay scale (I was already on UPS1) to assess autonatically without teacher having to apply?
    It doesnt matter in all honesty now that I have been told they will progress me to UPS2 and that it will be back dated, but I would be interested to know what correct procedure is. I have heard some say onus is on teacher to request to be assessed, but others say if already on UPS that Headteacher should assess automatically.
    My NUT rep is about as much help as a chocolate teapot.
    Thanks in advance and I hope this makes sense!

2. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Many head teachers seem to believe teachers should 'apply' somehow. This is incorrect. After two years on UP1 (or indeed UP2) provided post threshold standards have been maintained, observations are all fine and you have two successful performance management cycles completed, you should progress automatically. The other misconception is that there is any difference in the duties and responsibilities a UP1, 2 and 3 teacher should have - again incorrect. The UP scale was put in place to reward good teachers who wanted to remain in the classroom away from whole school or management responsibilities.

3. thats my understanding - that assuming previous 2 PM cycles have been completed OK, obs all fine & are seem to be meeting standards, thaat progression shoul happen automatically.
    And, if a problem with any of the above, am I right in thinking that the Headteacher should write to the teacher stating that they are not moving them form UPS1 to UPS2? Again, this letter should not be because the teacher applied, it should be triggered automatically?

4. jubilee

jubilee Lead commenter

The TDA website says differently! It says that progression on the Upper pay scale is not to be considered as automatic.
    I did see a document in 2008 stating that teachers should write a letter asking for consideration for UPS1-UPS2. No portfolio was required and there was no application form to be filled in either.
    A few teachers at that school had been on UPS1 for 3 or 4 years before they realised that they could have applied for UPS2 much earlier.

5. for a UPS teacher should all observations be good or outstanding?

6. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

It's not automatic - it's dependent on two succesful performance management cycles. But the review of pay is automatic (and indeed statutory) and so no action should be required on the part of the teacher