1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Please could anyone help with an RE observation in Year 2 class

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by classteacher249, Apr 6, 2012.

1. I'm due to have a lesson observation before I go off on maternity leave for my performance management.... I will be teaching this at 38 weeks pregnant!! crazy I know!! I'm having a bit of a flap about it and was wondering if anyone could offer their advice or ideas if you think its pants as I want to get it just right so I can go off on maternity feeling great!!
    I will be teaching a year 2 class and this will be the second lesson of the unit...they have never done anything on sikhism before so all new learning...
    So here goes!!.....
    My lesson will be on the Sikh Gurdwara - objective being something like "to know some of the features and things that take place in a gurdwara"
    Was thinking of showing them some pics of outside of Gurdwara as a whole class on whiteboard - and ask them what they think it is....What can they see that shows its a special building - e.g. domes, flag etc.

Then (so he cant say they are sitting for too long!!!) Going to have photographs on tables for children to go and look at.
    Table 1 - photos to do with the guru granth sahib and its throne in the gurdwara etc
    Table 2 - photos of other parts of gurdwara - shoe rack, prayer room, music section etc
    Table 3 - Langar and kitchen

Was thinking for a quick starter activity - children to split into 3 groups and to go to each table (adult at each table to scribe) and write down what each group think each picture is etc etc

Then to come together and discuss some ideas.....

THEN....specificly put ability groups back with certain pictures - so LA to focus on guru granth sahib, MA Langar and HA - all other parts.
    Adult to lead discussions but children to generate questions they would like to ask about the photographs.....e.g. LA might ask 'what is the book called" or "Why it that man holding a brush over the book" (chauri) (Am debating if children should produce individual questions or the group to produce quesitons together.)

Then - bring the children back to carpet and explain that today and prob next lesson as well - we are going to research and find out the answers to our quesitons...

LA - i've found some videos and a couple of websites they can go online and find answers about guru granth sahib - possibly input their info into a textease file with a picture and word bank to help

HA - i will provide info (photocopies of nonfiction books prob for them to find the answers to their questions) and also provide them with a worksheet with photos of all diff parts of the gurdwara and then leave them space for their questions and research next to each picture.

But Then I'm a bit stuck!!!! - how to get the MA to research the langar?? - adult led research in nonfiction book????

What do you think??

I'm trying to allow the children to be responsible for their own learning and take ownership - which i feel will happen if they are generating their own quesitons and finding the answers....but i don't want the research side to be boring for them. Any ideas!!

I really hope someone can offer me some advice or help!
    Thank you so much in advance :))
    (I've also posted this in primary forum)

2. I'm due to have a lesson observation before I go off on maternity leave for my performance management.... I will be teaching this at 38 weeks pregnant!! crazy I know!! I'm having a bit of a flap about it and was wondering if anyone could offer their advice or ideas if you think its pants as I want to get it just right so I can go off on maternity feeling great!!
    I will be teaching a year 2 class and this will be the second lesson of the unit...they have never done anything on sikhism before so all new learning...
    So here goes!!.....
    My lesson will be on the Sikh Gurdwara - objective being something like "to know some of the features and things that take place in a gurdwara"
    Was thinking of showing them some pics of outside of Gurdwara as a whole class on whiteboard - and ask them what they think it is....What can they see that shows its a special building - e.g. domes, flag etc.

Then (so he cant say they are sitting for too long!!!) Going to have photographs on tables for children to go and look at.
    Table 1 - photos to do with the guru granth sahib and its throne in the gurdwara etc
    Table 2 - photos of other parts of gurdwara - shoe rack, prayer room, music section etc
    Table 3 - Langar and kitchen

Was thinking for a quick starter activity - children to split into 3 groups and to go to each table (adult at each table to scribe) and write down what each group think each picture is etc etc

Then to come together and discuss some ideas.....

THEN....specificly put ability groups back with certain pictures - so LA to focus on guru granth sahib, MA Langar and HA - all other parts.
    Adult to lead discussions but children to generate questions they would like to ask about the photographs.....e.g. LA might ask 'what is the book called" or "Why it that man holding a brush over the book" (chauri) (Am debating if children should produce individual questions or the group to produce quesitons together.)

Then - bring the children back to carpet and explain that today and prob next lesson as well - we are going to research and find out the answers to our quesitons...

LA - i've found some videos and a couple of websites they can go online and find answers about guru granth sahib - possibly input their info into a textease file with a picture and word bank to help

HA - i will provide info (photocopies of nonfiction books prob for them to find the answers to their questions) and also provide them with a worksheet with photos of all diff parts of the gurdwara and then leave them space for their questions and research next to each picture.

But Then I'm a bit stuck!!!! - how to get the MA to research the langar?? - adult led research in nonfiction book????

What do you think??

I'm trying to allow the children to be responsible for their own learning and take ownership - which i feel will happen if they are generating their own quesitons and finding the answers....but i don't want the research side to be boring for them. Any ideas!!

I really hope someone can offer me some advice or help!
    Thank you so much in advance :))
    (I've also posted this in primary forum)

3. Hi classteacher249
    Firstly I want to say good luck with your lesson obs and congrats on your baby! Now on to your lesson, you have some lovely ideas. My only concern is that there is a lot to get through. How long is the lesson?
    Could you get straight into the children investigating the Gurdwara themselves and have each table set up with images of the guru granth sahib and its throne in the gurdwara, other parts of gurdwara - shoe rack, prayer room, music section etc. With perhaps the adults offering leading questions such as what could this be...leading gradually through the images, while the children create questions which they address later in their research.
    You could even have this as some kind of carousel activity. Following this you could have a mini plenary where you discucc as a class what the children have predicted, then you could assign the groups images that they go an research themselves, to eventually feed back to the class in the reflection part of the lesson.
    Perhaps you could put the children in mixed ability groups and appoint a group captain- as to take away the clear teacher-led aspect.

Hope this helps & good luck! :)

4. You could even pitch it to the children as though they are themselves mini-researchers who will make an information leaflet of somekind and really big up the idea of them being important and that the topic is really special. You could even put their assignments into envelopes telling them which part they are going to research- therefore giving differentiated aids.
    bec x

5. Really what you need to think about is what you want them to learn about and from religion. Otherwise, it's just about researching.