1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Please contribute ideas to help protect the environment.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Corvuscorax, Aug 19, 2019.

1. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Senior commenter

Maybe we could list here some of the actions that could be taken. if lots of people contribute, we could all pick up some new ideas. If you disagree with a suggestion, please say so, and explain why.

For example use Ecosia as a search engine instead of google, its not for profit, and plants trees with all advertising revenue

Cut our beef and diary, or as far as you can. I keep trying to cut out dairy, but is a hard one for me

Stop driving cars, most journeys are unnecessary

Get supermarkets shops online and delivered, by far better for the environment that everyone going to the supermarket individually

Switch to "Good Energy" for gas and electricity, it s a company that only provides energy from renewable sources

install likes this.
  2. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

Always travel overseas on sailboats.

3. blue451

blue451 Senior commenter

All of those ideas are valid but we need constant and determined political and economic pressure on governments and business. The statistic that 70% of emissions come from just 100 companies is from 2017 but probably hasn't changed much.
    Unless they believe that it'll hurt their profits (or their election results) they aren't going to listen - for reasons I cannot fathom they seem not to care about the kind of environment and society their children will inherit.

Corvuscorax likes this.
  4. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

No 1: never heard of it
    2. Be realistic. It is not our beef and dairy industry doing the damage. The rough pasture used by many animals reared for food is no use for edible human crops. It would lie fallow and produce nothing.
    3. Without public transport, which does not even exist in some parts of the country, this is impossible
    4. Just walk to the shops (if possible), and buy in bulk if using a car. Online shopping costs more and does not give you what you want.
    5. NO company provides energy only from renewables, it is a myth. It all comes via the same energy grid so is indiscernible from any other electricity.

5. Corvuscorax

ok, please suggest how to do this that you think may be effective

6. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Stop wasting food. Allow consumers to buy small amounts rather than large packs, BOGOF. A third of food is wasted and some of that must have clocked up big air miles, boat miles or even camel miles.

7. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Not to rile folks up... but not overconsuming food your body doesn't require.

8. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

And I think this is a great idea for a thread.

Something I could do is use the waste food recycling bin ...

Also next year planning on car sharing to work. So a bit there.

Scintillant and Corvuscorax like this.
  9. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Did you see that the crew have to fly over to return the boat? And that the ship's carbon fibre hull produced 14x the carbon dioxide of a plane to build?

In total her trip is contributing 6 times the CO2 of flying... utter lunacy.

10. Corvuscorax

Thats the whole point of the thread

That argument is valid for sheep in some areas, but not for cows, ever. Sheep in mountains, or on steep pastures, yes. Cows on flatlands, with other fields being given over to produce crops for fodder, no, I don't think so, but correct me if you have examples, again this is the whole point of the thread.

As I understand it, land given over to cows, or cow fodder, if used to produce human crops, would produce 10x the calories for humans than it currently does. Without the methane produced by cows.

so lobby for better public transport - we live in a democracy!

some car journeys are necessary, yes, but most realistically are not. They are simply for convenience. , and we do need a culture shift in this respect. There is currently little apparent shame in using a car and causing pollution for purely selfish reasons. I don't know why not.

really? I find on line shopping quite cheap, and gives me close enough to what I want. I don't think it is more expensive than petrol or bus fare, or taxi fare. the same, or cheaper.

It doesn't have to be all the time though, but if we all did the bulk of our shopping on line in one go, once a month, that would cut millions of car journeys

no, its not a myth. Different companies feed into the energy grid from different sources, so Good Energy, for example, feeds into the grid only from renewable sources, and this is then the company your pay, for the energy they have fed into the grid. That is how it works.

hamcguin and Scintillant like this.
  11. Ivartheboneless

Er ... no to all of your arguments. Try living in a rural part of the UK. Can you tell me which of the elctrons arriving at my house to power this computer came from renewable resources and which from fossil fuels? No I didn't think so! But aren't you a hero? A completely unrealistic wearing rose-tinted specs hero. Do you have an electric car? Did you go on holiday by plane this year? Do you wear only second hand clothes? Did your sprogs only get washable nappies wrapped round their delicate little bums?

I am not saying there AREN'T ways of reducing your global impact on everything, just that some of the ideas are unworkable. And that people get the daftest ideas which simply cannot work. These arguments have been done over and over again. Poverty would be a place to start.

12. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Does it not occur to you that different solutions can be applied to different areas depending on circumstance?

13. Ivartheboneless

Of course, but the different scanarios all need to be considered don't they? And there are many of them.

14. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Tell companies like McDonald's to serve on plates. Then add a £1 plate charge.

If people return the plate they get the £1 back.

Cut back on litter.

Inspired by the Viennese cafe we are sat at, watching all the customers take their plates and litter into the cafe for disposal. Refreshing.

15. Corvuscorax

????

well, the grid is AC, so there are no "electrons arriving at my house". We are talking about energy fed into the grid. it comes from different companies. You pay the company you choose to pay, so if you pay a company that only generates using renewable sources, then that is where your money goes, not to companies generating using fossil fuels, and this is how to support the growth of the use of renewable sources

Why are you talking like that?

I don't have any car, I only use public transport

No I went by train

mostly

mostly, or biodegradable ones,

their bums were not particularly any more delicate than anyone else's?

please, then, make some suggestions

16. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

Vienna is fab. Enjoy.

lanokia likes this.
  17. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I can go with that.

lanokia and Corvuscorax like this.
  18. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Completely incorrect. The land would revert to climax vegetation and be an excellent carbon sink.

A carbon tax is vital. Write to your MP about this.
    Grow some food. Healthy and saves money. Keeps you fit.
    Cut out as much meat and dairy as possible (this has a real impact and is quite easy to do).
    Talk to people about climate change as much as possible.
    Buy as little in plastic packaging as you can.
    Buy food with as few miles on it as possible.
    Fly as little as possible, stop completely if you can cope with it.
    If you want children, be sensible. One is enough, two at a push.
    Get a bike. Use it.

Corvuscorax likes this.
  19. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

The green ones from renewable sources and the red ones from fossil fuels.

20. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Tomorrow morning, 8:45, Enniskillen Bus Station cafeteria and you will see two old tanglers doing just that.

lanokia and Corvuscorax like this.