1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Please check your working/child tax credit allowance

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by anon4325, Aug 22, 2011.

1. For all those supplying and signing on..don't forget to check your working/child tax credit allowance....because my income (projected income ) has dropped....I've ended up getting another 50 pounds a month...worth the effort of a few phone calls and form filling!

2. For all those supplying and signing on..don't forget to check your working/child tax credit allowance....because my income (projected income ) has dropped....I've ended up getting another 50 pounds a month...worth the effort of a few phone calls and form filling!

3. Hi,
    Im a bit confused as to which benefits I should claim. I graduated from university with a PGCE in June and have been working with a holiday club, which finishes on Sunday 4th September, but I will still be working for 8 hours on the same company's saturday club. I've signed up with a teaching agency, with unguaranteed hours each week. Should I ask the Job Centre to provde me we JSA or Working Tax Credit, as my hours will change each week.

The www.direct.gov website states that I need to be working more than 16 hours per week to claim working tax credit, but less than 16 hours to claim JSA. Has anybody else been in a similar/same situation and what do you suggest I do?

4. You can sign on as part time looking for better hours teacher and should get jsa as long as you work less than the 16 hrs, stick with a day being 5 hrs so 3 days max. However any supply you earn will be deducted from jsa once you have been paid. Basically it only takes half to 1 day a week depending on fee to cancel out jsa however if work us not regular you might still be worth signing on. Tax credits are totally different and you apply via different place, directgov I think. You can't claim unless you work 16 hours but salary is taken into consideration. My husband works full time and I am unemployed and awaiting supply but he apparently earns too much for us to claim ( we worked out he's on 20k as min wage plus commission). We do have a child so child tax element was increased dye to household income being low. You may be able to claim housing benefit and council tax rebate too so wirth checking.