1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Please check my Javascript Library :)

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by autismuk, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Hi. This isn't a sales thing. I'm working on a cross browser javascript graphics library and was hoping for a couple of people to check if it worked on their hardware and if so, how fast and how fast (roughly) the machine is (you may remember me inquiring about browser resolutions a while back .....)
    If it works (tested on IE6/7/8/Firefox/Safari/Opera/Chrome/Epiphany) it should display a blue box with alternating red and green lines, with a "pirate head" graphic (90 actually) wandering around randomly and a display in fps. It should also make a 'boink' sound every 3 seconds or so. (Ah, the joys of HTML5 Audio). No funny stuff, virii or anything, it's just javascript :) I'm just interested to see how it copes under load, it isn't particularly exciting.
    Anyway it is at :
    http://www.cyquiz.com/app_test.html
    you can tinker with the resolution via the URL e.g.
    http://www.cyquiz.com/app_test.html?res=1024 (sets a 1024 x 768 size display :) )
    Many thanks in advance.
    NB: It does work on iPhone and Android but iPad is proving awkward because it has this annoying autoscaling feature that causes it to continually rescale. Testing is somewhat difficult when you have to sneak into the Apple store to do it :)

2. Hi. This isn't a sales thing. I'm working on a cross browser javascript graphics library and was hoping for a couple of people to check if it worked on their hardware and if so, how fast and how fast (roughly) the machine is (you may remember me inquiring about browser resolutions a while back .....)
    If it works (tested on IE6/7/8/Firefox/Safari/Opera/Chrome/Epiphany) it should display a blue box with alternating red and green lines, with a "pirate head" graphic (90 actually) wandering around randomly and a display in fps. It should also make a 'boink' sound every 3 seconds or so. (Ah, the joys of HTML5 Audio). No funny stuff, virii or anything, it's just javascript :) I'm just interested to see how it copes under load, it isn't particularly exciting.
    Anyway it is at :
    http://www.cyquiz.com/app_test.html
    you can tinker with the resolution via the URL e.g.
    http://www.cyquiz.com/app_test.html?res=1024 (sets a 1024 x 768 size display :) )
    Many thanks in advance.
    NB: It does work on iPhone and Android but iPad is proving awkward because it has this annoying autoscaling feature that causes it to continually rescale. Testing is somewhat difficult when you have to sneak into the Apple store to do it :)

3. Left it running for 2 minutes, average FPS 196. Hardware - Acer Laptop, P745, 4GB, GT240M. Firefox 6 beta.

Not sure why you don't just output that information plus the brower's resolution etc to a PHP script and you'll get the data back automatically ;-)

4. Thanks :)
    Part of the reason is that I'm also interested in if it works and how well as well as the actual speed part. The speed (surprisingly) is not bad at all. I can even get 6-7 fps on my old iPhone which isn't bad for throwing 50 Images about the screen ; my Android phone is about double that.The other reasons is it

5. rubikwizard

rubikwizard New commenter

Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM
    Windows 7 - 64 bit, SP1.
    Firefox 5.0 127 fps
    IE9 92 fps
    IE9 (64 bit) 81 fps
    IE9 (platform preview) 64 fps

6. rubikwizard

rubikwizard New commenter

Blackberry Bold stock browser 10 fps

7. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

Dell Vostro i5 750@2.67Ghz, 32bit Windows 7. FireFox5.0, 207fps
    IE 9 got 243fps
    Opera 10 180fps

HTH

8. 92fps on both Chrome 12.0.742.112 & Firefox 4.01 on 64 bit Mageia Linux 1. Asus laptop, 2GHz Core 2 duo, 4GB, GT320M at 1366x768..

9. Hardware: i7 920, 6GB, GTX 260
    Firefox 6: 209 FPS
    IE8: 32 FPS
    Chrome 13: 153 FPS

Ouch.

10. Scary isn't it :) Also IE8 has the autoscaling disabled and it can't draw round boxes either, it doesn't have sound (properly), it doesn't have Canvas .... and the X*!*X*!@8 dropped the % size on the SVG which appears to have no point other than to trash the SVG implementation !
    It also has this really well hidden cache bug that they keep quiet about where every so often if you update stuff on a server it doesn't refresh it in the browser.

11. Wow, this is really cool. You might be interested in CreativeJS which is a site that demos creative uses of javascript, and there's a conference soon on this sort of thing called Full Frontal.
    Here are the results I got on an Apple Macbook (Lion) 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM.
    Firefox 5: 63FPS
    Opera 11.5: 69FPS
    Chrome 13: 85FPS
    Safari 5.1: 149FPS
    Let me know if you want this tested on any more devices or if the sample you've got is enough.

12. Thanks to everyone who posted. CreativeJS is interesting, but for my project I wanted it to run on IE7 (it works on IE6 as well) even if it is a bit slow. Sadly this means no Canvas, no WebGL, it's all text, boxes drawn with DIVs and IMGs :(

13. So you're just going to give up and use Flash instead? ;-)

14. Oh, it works on IE all right, just not as well :(

15. madcat

madcat Occasional commenter

Sadly, whilst I applaud auti's efforts,, this does remind me very much of the bad old days of early DHTML.Ten years ago, I slaved for hours trying to get some MFL games to work across a range of browsers using the technology.
    Eventually i realised that no matter how many libraries I used or built or how many work rounds I produced, I was totally at the mercy of the browser manufacturers and that subtle changes to the underlying functionality would often screw weeks of work
    Do what I did, just use flash.

16. And in honesty, Flash looks nicer, seems to perform better all round, and you know it's a "works well or doesnt work at all" scenario! And this is from a fellow Javascript developer.....

17. On my elderly macbook:Safari 70+fpsChrome 80+fps

18. Is this so it's compatible for schools without more modern browsers?

19. Mostly :)