1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Please can you help?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by 2BigMacs, Jun 11, 2015.

1. I have visited a school and made a good impression and really would like the job. No internal candidate and the 31st has passed so I think I stand a good chance of getting this position, until it came to the references part of the application.

The local authority want references for the last 5 years and due to circumstances beyond my control I have been in a couple of schools (done nothing wrong I assure you).

All of my references are impeccable however this 5 year rule would include an academy who treated me appallingly (no ppa time, reneged on pay, no contract etc) and told me I could have a permanent position then 2 weeks in it turned into temporary. I informed them I would look for another job and they were really awful to me. To cut a long story short I got an interview At another school who then asked about the reference at interview and did not take me on because of it. They did later on and found that I was incredibly professional and hard working. The reference wasn't bad but it didn't say I'd done anything, very blank and they said I didn't tell them I was looking for another position, I did.

I managed to leave and get another job and since then the whole department has left that academy and so has the Headteacher, although the new HT would know me.

my question is this, is there anyway of explaining this beforehand or do I let them seek the reference first and risk the possibility of losing the job due to lies?

any advice would be gratefully received.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

If they are asking for all these references, then you have to give them. Do not lie. Do not omit one school.

But . . .

1) I doubt if they actually always contact all referees

2) If they do, then one reference which is totally out of synch with the others will not be relied on.

3) They may just ask about it in interview, so be prepared at that stage

So my advice is:

Just leave it, don't bother explaining anything beforehand.

N.B. you are reading and following the applications advice, aren't you?

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, where she answers jobseeking and careers queries regularly each week.

3. Hi Theo,

I never lie and would not leave gaps. The additional referees would be asked for at the interview not beforehand.

I always follow your advice religiously!

Thank you again